Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1grandma Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2009, 12:16 AM
    Empty stomach
    What constitutes an empty stomach. How many hours?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 2, 2009, 06:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 1grandma View Post
    what constitutes an empty stomach. How many hours?
    Usually an empty stomach is first thing after rising. About eight hours from going to bed. Any med, unless otherwise specified and this is very very rare, should be taken after food.

Tick
    Fugue Posts: 14, Reputation: 6

Nov 2, 2009, 05:47 PM
    Unfortunately, there's no simple answer to this question - it depends entirely on your own digestion and how much you ate. The medication you're taking also makes a difference, since there are different reasons a medication should be taken on an empty stomach.

I would suggest calling your pharmacy and asking them. Pharmacists are experts and can give you good advice since they know what you're taking and why, and they'd be able to tailor your advice to your situation since they'll also know the reason why this particular medication should be taken apart from food.

If it were me taking a pill on an "empty stomach" and I couldn't ask a pharmacist, I'd probably use the guideline of at least two hours after eating or one hour before.

Hope this helps, and please do call a pharmacist in the morning.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 3, 2010, 10:58 AM

I don't know why I got a disagree here. I answered the question which was how many hours constitutes an empty stomach. I said eight hours.

This poster Pamcoburn does not find this helpful : didn't answer the question

Said this. I guess he can't read.

My answer was based on professional experience. If this type of question can't be general, then, no it can't be answered because everyone is different. The guidelines are as I mentioned for the general public.

Tick
    purplelady49 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2011, 06:40 AM
    Comment on tickle's post
    Some people are just dense and can't (or won't) understand simple instructions. That's why they put "do not eat" on things like Lemon Joy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drink water in empty stomach [ 1 Answers ]

Assalamu alaikum wr.wb. I received many messages about drink water in empty stomach before brushing mouth, after 15mins finishing brkfst,lunch,dinner don't drink or eat, it is true? At d same time what nabi (pbuh) do? First he starting with liquid or solid...

Empty Stomach [ 4 Answers ]

How long does it take for the stomach to become empty again after eating?

Can you take the pill on an empty stomach? [ 1 Answers ]

Can you take the pill (I'm on yasmin) on an empty stomach? Or will it have side-effects? e.g vomiting etc

Empty stomach [ 3 Answers ]

How long after eating does it take for your stomach to become empty?

Empty stomach- what does it mean? [ 7 Answers ]

On some medications it says: "take on an empty stomach". How long does it take after eating for your stomach to be empty again, and does it make a difference what you eat, and how much? Thank you!

View more questions Search