Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lovebeh247 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2007, 01:56 PM
    Non-compete agreements
    I was recently terminated, and a two-year non-compete agreement was signed by myself at the time of employment. I cleaned houses. Now I'm working for another individual. Two of the previous companies customers found out and now want to hire this individual so that I can clean their houses. Can I do this and remain loyal to the non-compete agreement.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Mar 22, 2007, 01:59 PM
    If the customers are contacting you, wanting specifically you to clean their home (and not caring which company you are with now) then I think your OK, your not giving your new employer information with which to contact customers from your old company.

Though, you might want to read this agreement carefully (if you have a copy) and check.
    dflak Posts: 18, Reputation: 3

Mar 27, 2007, 01:21 PM
    Rules vary by states. Some states are "right to work" states. Non-compete agreements are very difficult to enforce, particularly when you are involuntarily terminated. A company cannot tell you that you cannot work in your chosen field of work.

The company is going to have to prove that you are using proprietary data (customer lists, relatonships, intellectual property, etc.) to compete with them. It's a battle that it will cost them to win. So unless you are a serious threat to them, they are not likely to want to fight it. At best they may get a "cease and desist" order against you.

If the customers come to you, then the company has a shaky case indeed.

Of course, if this is a common problem for the company, then they may go out of their way to procecute just to make an example out of someone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No compete clause [ 5 Answers ]

How do you get out of this so you can work in your field

No compete [ 1 Answers ]

How can you get out of this clouse, so you can work in your field

Can I get out of my non-compete? [ 4 Answers ]

Help! I signed a non-compete when I first got into real estate. The company I work for is a bit specialized in that we only sell condo conversions investments. Because the company is specialized, does that mean I can't work for another similar company? A cousin of mine is going to open the a real...

Non-compete agreement [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me if a non-compete agreement is legally binding in Pennsylvania in sales

View more questions Search