Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Oscargffg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2012, 08:43 AM
    Harley davidson troubleshooting
    My 98 1200 sporty runs when cold but looses spark when it warms up! I mean no spark is it the coil or something else?
    PeterHD13 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2012, 05:30 AM
    Yeah a lot of times it can be a coil but check the connections are clean first undo the nuts on the coil and clean the terminal ends and electrical contacts. Also check and clean inside the High tension spark plug lead compartments.

If you get a clymer manual or haines etc there are tests you can do on the coil to make sure it's OK. Or just take the coil to to shop to test it or get a spare off someone to try and see if that fixes it.

Check you spark plugs too as they can go the same way when they get hot. Take them both out. Clean them up attach them to the plug ends and sit them on the head hold one at a time with a set of insulated pliers with the base of the plug against the head or earth, turn on the ignition and kick the bike over and see if you get a strong blue/white spark. If it's weak yellow try a new plug. If it's still no good it may be the coil leads, coil, or the pick up on the timing side. Electronic ignition modules can go the same way when they get hot/ vibration. There are set tests which aren't too hard if you have a volt/ohmeter cheap digital one, that is set out in the manual. I figured it out it's not too hard. Just putting a probe in the right spot and reading values.

I found a broken ignition wire on my feed to my ignition unit near the plug connector for the cone timing sensor . Check continuity. There only very fine wire and if someone pulls on them near the plug connector they can snap or go intermittent. So I cut off the stock connector and Double wired mine through a six pin connector.

The Sensor inside the cone can go too but there are tests for that as well. If it is your ignition module.sensor you'll have to buy a new one . I found some trick systems on Ebay that sit the whole system inside the timing cone miniturised with adjustmet tabs for around $250 to $400. I was thinking of buying one when I save up they even have a KIcker/ electric setting. Otherwise there's OEM new or second hand, may as well upgrade Screamin Eagle etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Troubleshooting harley davidson [ 1 Answers ]

Roadking harley seems to sway at highway speeds when it rides over bumps in the road

Harley davidson troubleshooting [ 0 Answers ]

99 883 will start and run fine. After it is warm it won't start up

Harley davidson troubleshooting [ 1 Answers ]

My bike is clicking when I try to start it. It has battery so I am thinking spark plugs/wire could cause it. Am I right or is there something I can do? 1999 sportster 883 xlh

Harley davidson troubleshooting? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1993 evo motor making a loud tapping noise when engine is warmed up, no performance loss or smoke

Harley davidson troubleshooting [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1989 Harley Soft-tail custom 1340. When out on the road running, it coughs back through the carburetor and pops through the exhaust. I don't know if it's a shorted wire somewhere, a valve or the jets in the carb wrong. It has a Keihen Carb. On it and Samson street sweeper pipes on it. ...

View more questions Search