Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joanne635 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2008, 01:57 PM
    Someone got in to my protected router!
    I used a wireless router (LInksys) to network my 2 pc's to each other. One is called Dell, the other Compaq. I did put a password onto the router when I installed it. Yet, the other day, when I opened my "network neighborhood", not only did I see my own 2 pc's, but I saw another person's as well! I tried to check its properties to find out more or to delete it, but the error message said the "server was not available" on that strange PC! How could someone get into my wireless connection if I have a password protection on it?
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Oct 20, 2008, 07:25 AM

Is it your Router Configuration that is password protected? Or is it your Wireless connection that has a security key assigned to it? To protect your wireless connection, there are two things that you can do.

1) Do not make the SSID of your Wireless Access Point visible. Do not let it broadcast its identity. This helps to make it invisible to the drive by surfers.

2) Assign a security key to your WiFi connection. The most reliable one to work with is the WPA - Personal (TKIP). You will often experience connectivity problems if you use the WEP type of security key.

You must write down the SSID of your router and the security key so that it can be input into each of your Wireless profiles on your computers. If you think this is a pain, just remember that it is even more of a pain for the people that want to steal your services.
    joanne635 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2008, 09:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckhole View Post
    Is it your Router Configuration that is password protected? Or is it your Wireless connection that has a security key assigned to it? To protect your wireless connection, there are two things that you can do.

1) Do not make the SSID of your Wireless Access Point visible. Do not let it broadcast its identity. This helps to make it invisible to the drive by surfers.

2) Assign a security key to your WiFi connection. The most reliable one to work with is the WPA - Personal (TKIP). You will often experience connectivity problems if you use the WEP type of security key.

You must write down the SSID of your router and the security key so that it can be input into each of your Wireless profiles on your computers. If you think this is a pain, just remember that it is even more of a pain for the people that want to steal your services.
    :)Joanne635 here. Yes, it worked. I tested with a wireless laptop to try to get into the network and I had to use all types of "Key" ID's, etc. to get in. Thank you again

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing wireless router Linksys WRT54GS to a wired router [ 8 Answers ]

How can I disable my wireless router to a wired router. The model is a Linksys WRT54GS.My two computers are now in one room and do not need to be wireless.I will be using a 50ft. Cable. Does it make any difference if the color of the cable is blue or yellow ?

D-Link Router DI-624 router settings log in issues [ 2 Answers ]

I'm having serious problems getting into the router settings of my D-Link router. Someone other than me messed with the Admin log in supposedly changing the password. I've attempted to "reset" the modem several times, and use what D-Link says is the admin log in of "Admin" and no password, but it...

Router within a Router - Connection problems [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to set up a wireless network to be able to use my laptop, but am having problems getting everything working; The wireless is "Connected" yet I'm unable to access the internet, or ping the default gateway. The current setup consists of a Zyxel Prestige 643 (The "internet gateway", a...

Write protected mp3 [ 1 Answers ]

Good day. I updatedthe firmware of my mp3. Unfortunately after I have updated a message "write protected disk" appears. How will I fix my mp3. Thanks much

View more questions Search