Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dgolota Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2006, 03:53 PM
    Financially Irresponsible
    My parents are both retired. My father is 70 and my mother is 67. Both have health issues. My father takes care of the finances, however, he has stopped paying all of their bills. My mother is going blind because of an eye disease (maculardegeneration?) and my father is not paying any of the doctor bills. Eventually the doctors will refuse to treat her. He hasn't paid any of the taxes on their house in several years. His creditors are taking legal action. How do I go about declaring him financially incompetent?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 31, 2006, 04:51 PM
    You will need to go to an attorney to start with, you will have to file a motion with the court to have someone appointed a guardian over them
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 31, 2006, 05:13 PM
    I would start with his doctor. His doctor can help you assess his capacity.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Financially Irresponsible Elderly parent [ 5 Answers ]

My mother is 74 and widowed. When my father was alive, he was able to maintain both her financial and social skills. She was very ill in 2001 and since then, she has become financially irresponsible. She does not maintain any form of budget or balance her checking account. She owns her home,...

Irresponsible Biz Partner-No Longer Bankable? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My partner and I formed a corporation, received an EIN number, and set up a bank account in the city where he lives (I live halfway across the country from him.) He has had personal credit issues, left his personal bank account overdrawn, but was able to open this corporate account. Our...

View more questions Search