Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mdunn Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2009, 11:45 PM
    Buying outdoor furnitures
    Been searching for 2 days now for a suitable outdoor furniture for our newly renovated patio. My husband wants us to put a redwood bench, we went to the nearest furniture shop but had no luck. I went online and found Forever Redwood, an outdoor furniture shop located in California. By chance, anyone from the forum who have purchased from this company? And is there any other sources on redwood furniture you know of?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2009, 12:42 AM

Hi, mdunn!

If you wouldn't mind sharing about your approximate location, I would be willing to search for a place that supplies that type of furniture that might be located near to you.

Thanks!

Feb 11, 2009, 01:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, mdunn!

If you wouldn't mind sharing about your approximate location, I would be willing to search for a place that supplies that type of furniture that might be located near to you.

Thanks!
    That's would be nice. Thank you. We're in the San Francisco Bay Area.
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2009, 01:12 AM

How far are you willing to travel to get the bench, if you're willing to travel to do that, please? I know that it could also be shipped to your home, though.

Thanks!
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2009, 09:08 PM

Hello mdunn! Is there a reason you're having doubts about that particular company?

While I'm not familiar with their products, they look to be sturdy and well crafted, at least at this price range. I think the cost seems reasonable, and it's hard to argue with a guarantee. I took a little look at the various benches they make, and I happen to like one of them. It's the 5-food Alan's Bench (5-Foot Alan's Bench). The others are a touch on the classic (picnic table) side.

Just to satisfy my own curiosity, is there a reason you're going with wood over, say, cast iron?

Feb 16, 2009, 10:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by linnealand View Post
    hello mdunn! is there a reason you're having doubts about that particular company?

while i'm not familiar with their products, they look to be sturdy and well crafted, at least at this price range. i think the cost seems reasonable, and it's hard to argue with a guarantee. i took a little look at the various benches they make, and i happen to like one of them. it's the 5-food Alan's Bench (5-Foot Alan's Bench). the others are a touch on the classic (picnic table) side.

just to satisfy my own curiosity, is there a reason you're going with wood over, say, cast iron?
    It's not like I had a bad experience with them, the only reason I have asked anyone if they have bought a furniture from the company is because I have not been a fan of buying stuff online. Most of the time what we see on websites are different from the real thing. I guess you would agree to that? The Alan bench is nice. My husband has a liked a number of furniture from them. :) But we have to decide to buy 1-2 for our patio. We chose wood over cast iron because we would want to achieve a classic brown theme on our patio. We already have an old wood table in our patio.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2009, 01:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mdunn View Post
    It's not like I had a bad experience with them, the only reason I have asked anyone if they have bought a furniture from the company is because I have not been a fan of buying stuff online. Most of the time what we see on websites are different from the real thing. I guess you would agree to that? The Alan bench is nice. My husband has a liked a number of furniture from them. :) But we have to decide to buy 1-2 for our patio. We chose wood over cast iron because we would want to achieve a classic brown theme on our patio. We already have an old wood table in our patio.
    Hi mdunn! Sure, I can identify with your concerns. I can't say I've ever bought furniture online, but I think Clough might have more experience with that. I have bought various other items online for years, though, and I know what it's like to think the picture is better than the product. However, I'm guessing that the "simplicity" of the work and the sturdy look of the pieces should culminate in the benches just being what they're supposed to be.

It looks like assembly falls to the buyer, but I think that's perfectly reasonable. It's certainly cheaper than shipping it pre-assembled. I like the guarantee based on wood grade; it's honest and reassuring. If it helps you any, I design high end handmade Italian furniture for a living (which is why I was asking about your choice of materials--to satisfy my own curiosity in why a buyer is going with wood over iron or something else--what I do is for wrought iron, and I'm always happy to learn and hear the thoughts of furniture buyers on the market), and, personally, from what I've seen, if I were looking for a simple, sturdy and durable piece in wood, I would consider buying from the company in your link. I certainly have nothing to gain by telling you that, lol, so you might as well feel better about your choices. There's also no arguing with good redwood. I like the two pieces you chose (and love that you mixed them).

As a person on the other side of the business, I'll tell you that the company itself will make the major difference in whether you're (1) disappointed that the pictures were better than the pieces, but you'll also find that the opposite happens; that is, like what I hear all the time, (2) the pictures didn't do justice to how beautiful the pieces really are (and the pictures are good).

If you're really worried, depending on the urgency with which you need the benches, you could always buy one and wait until you have it to decide if you want the other one too. However, I'll reiterate that I really don't think you have to worry in this case.

Once you do get the benches, promise you'll come back to tell us what you think of them! You've certainly made me curious!
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2009, 01:53 AM

Hi again, mdunn!

Have you considered someone local building what you want to your specifications? I like to build fancy porch swings for people. I'm not trying to solicit business, but give you some other options here.

Perhaps there might be a junior high, high school or college professor who teaches some sort of shop class and enjoys woodworking who might like to make a little extra money on the side?

Just some thoughts for you...

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to sell old furnitures [ 4 Answers ]

Outdoor hosebib [ 6 Answers ]

With winter approaching, this new homeowner has some questions about my outdoor hose bibs. What do I need to do to avoid having them freeze during the winter. I know they make no-frost hose bibs, but how can I tell if that is what I have? I have shut off valves inside the house for both, do...

Selling furnitures [ 1 Answers ]

I am moving soon.would like to sell the furniture .the whole house full.. Where to contact?:) :)

Female outdoor cat not accepting new male outdoor cat [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 10 year old spayed female cat that has always lived in our garage and is very spoiled. We live out in the country. A male cat about two years old that is very sweet also showed up and is now neutered. He is not dominate to the female and wants to live in the garage also. They each have...

Outdoor Spa and lighting [ 1 Answers ]

Dear all, Happy holiday's I have two 40amps in the main box that feeding the AC Unit. I would like to know if its possible and code pass in new Jersey, Piscataway. To tap into that conduit at a junction point and extend the required wires in a conduit 30-40 feet to a Spa 50/AMPS @ 240...

View more questions Search