Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CuppyCakez Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2012, 03:49 PM
    Any clue--6 to 8 legged small black bugs?
    There are these black bugs in my house, I'm really not sure what type of bug or insect they are but they seem to have anywhere from 6 to 8 legs. At first I thought they were pantry bugs because I first saw one on a piece of bread a long time ago. I am now seeings them more frequently a year later but this time once on my bed at night, once in a door entry in the afternoon, & today mid day crawling on my back underneath my damp hair (just shampooed). I have no clue what this thing is, I am not a filthy person but my home does have mold due to storm damage I have no idea if this is a correlation. Please if you can help me identify them & possibly kill them would be great. I can't seem to find a photo of them when I Google & it is hard to stomach looking at endless photos of bugs.

Fast summary:
    6-8 legs (possibly even 4)
    Small black bug but not round like a beetle
    Small but not mirco maybe slightly larger than this size ---> O
    No trails to be found (trying to rule out bed bugs)
    Attracted possibly to my damp shampooed hair
    Crawls very fast
    Beardedsumo Posts: 28, Reputation: 6

Mar 12, 2012, 04:53 PM
    The possibility exists that they are spiderlings (young spiders fresh hatched). That would account for the variable number of legs. Is it possible you simply don't see the legs all the time? Roach nymphs comes to mind but their legs are on display all the time.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Mar 12, 2012, 06:42 PM
    Not likely to be spiders at all... all spiders, from the day they hatch until the day they die, have 8 legs unless they are injured. Spiders do not have variable numbers of legs... must be 8 to classify as a spider.

Can you maybe take a picture of one next time you see it and post it on here? That would be the easiest way for us to identify what you have. It might also help to know the general area you live in.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Small black bugs on counter and in dry ingredients [ 3 Answers ]

I have some small black bugs on my kitchen counter that seem to be attracted to oil and sweets, as well as dry ingredients. They are about the size of a grain of coffee, and they have a bit of a hardened shell. They don't seem to fly, just crawl. Someone suggested using bay leaves, but this has...

What is the difference between 10 legged and 8 legged spiders [ 5 Answers ]

Large brown spider, 2 white stripes on back , 8 legged. Sometimes they will jump at you. They have invaded my house. Are they poisionous? How can I safely get rid of them? I would like them outside, way outside.

Invisable small black flying bugs [ 1 Answers ]

I have some kind of invisable bug in my frontroom. It stays in the frontroom and does not go into the other rooms. It comes out in the evening. When you get it wet it is black. We put them in a bowl of vinegar and they turn orange. We have been trying for months to get rid of it and nothing has...

Very very small black or white bugs in house [ 2 Answers ]

I have little black or white bugs in mine and my sisters bedroom, first they were all by the window so I shut my window and now they are everywhere. We have both cleaned our rooms top to bottom but still they are their. We have tried bleech, viniger, polish everything. I have run out of ideas....

View more questions Search