Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alexandra1165 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2007, 02:21 PM
    Preschooler-poor table manners
    I run a small preschool, and I have a new student, he is 3 1/2 years old. He is a very, very slow eater, and he does not eat very much at meals. But while he is eating he rocks back and forth, is constantly moving, opens his mouth to show me what he has chewed, he also talks a lot and plays games while eating.
    Does anyone have any suggestions? I think that if he focused while eating, and stopped moving he would be a faster eater and would be able to eat a little more than he does now.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 6, 2007, 02:24 PM
    Does he do this only when eating? Do you notice the same actions at other times during the day?

You may want to talk to his parents to find out what meal time is like at home.

Do you know if he has been diagnosed as Autistic, or high functioning Autistic?
    alexandra1165 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2007, 03:03 PM
    He is a child with a short attention span, but only when doing things he is not interested in.
    He does not act his way at any other point in the day, only during eating.
    He has not been tested for autism, but shows no signs. When I said he rocks, he shifts his weight from knee to knee, it is a playful motion.
    His parents, I feel are so tried of it that they have given up the fight, and allow it to happen. But I feel that his behavior at the table is unacceptable.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 6, 2007, 03:09 PM
    Oh, what a tough place you are in!! If they won't do anything about it at home, how can you enforce it at school?

I take it that this causes a HUGE problem? Best thing would probably work on one thing at a time. Maybe start with the opening the mouth. Tell him consistently that this is not okay, if you aren't already.

You say he is rather new student, so he may need some adjustment time. You did not specify how long you have had him at your center.

From my experience, which I have had years of (I used to teach pre-school 20+ years ago) it is best to work on one thing at a time so as not to overwhelm him. Once you get that problem solved, move on to the next. Start with the one that seems to be the easiest to solve.

I also wonder if he is ADD or ADHD.
    symone91 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2007, 06:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by alexandra1165
    I run a small preschool, and I have a new student, he is 3 1/2 years old. He is a very, very slow eater, and he does not eat very much at meals. But while he is eating he rocks back and forth, is constantly moving, opens his mouth to show me what he has chewed, he also talks a lot and plays games while eating.
    Does anyone have any suggestions? I think that if he focused while eating, and stoped moving he would be a faster eater and would be able to eat a little more than he does now.
    You'd be surprised the results you can achieve that parents can't. I used to be a Preschool Teacher and parents used to tell me that their children listened to me more than they listened to them. The key is consistency. I don't know what the set-up is at youur school, but when my children were eating lunch, I would sit at one of the tables with them and we would have conversations. I would tell them that I was looking for three things: Are your bottoms in your chair? Are your feet on the floor? Are both hands on the table? To them, it was like playing a game and they loved it. But, you have to remain consistent. In no time, the parents will be telling you that the child is repeting this phrase at home.
    bekah876 Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Jun 6, 2007, 08:33 PM
    I agree with symone91. Make eating a game so that it becomes more interesting. Let him pretend to be someone or something. Ask him if he can pretend his bottom is glued to the chair and he can't get up. Put a piece of paper under his feet and tell him he is surrounded by quicksand, if his feet go off the paper he will sink in the sand. Do some sort of goofy stories that might make meal time more enjoyable. It is so strange how we as adults love food, but children aren't always interested in meal times.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Air Hockey Table... [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone know of a website I could go to to order an Air Hockey Table. Preferably in the Dallas, Tx area, bt ne place would work

Routing table [ 2 Answers ]

Dell Network Wizard had identified a problem with the routing table on your computer and cannot fix it. We suggest you reboot your computer. I keep having problems connecting to the internet

Cell/Table Borders [ 4 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, I'm currently trying to build a website for my new business. I know a very good base about html and Dreamweaver which is the platform I'm using to build my site. I'm having a huge dilemma, my business partner wants to see the website a certain way, but I can't seem to get the...

Problem with IP routing table! [ 1 Answers ]

My IPGateway is NSG4000 (made in Taiwan), in its static routing table I want to assign IP 0.0.0.0 and Subnet mask 0.0.0.0. But I don't know why it can't assign that IP and SM :confused: . Are there any other way to assign IP and SM 0.0.0.0? Please help me! Thanks!

Div Vs Table [ 3 Answers ]

Just a quick question. I've seen a few pages on the internet about using DIV tags instead of tables. Could someone just quickly tell me what's the best to use? I could imagine DIV tags would provide you more control via CSS, but I can also see that they would be a pain in the ass to use. ...

View more questions Search