Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shropswife Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2011, 03:17 PM
    Giving false statement state of Georgia
    I was wondering if anyone knows what the punishment is for giving false statement to investigators in ga? First time offense of any kind...
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 6, 2011, 03:24 PM

Depends on the charges under investigation. The more serious the crime the deeper it can go. All the way to accessory charges.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 6, 2011, 03:36 PM

False statements in what type of investigation, and in what sense, more info will be needed.
    shropswife Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2011, 06:59 PM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    A person I know cut a man in self defense while I was at work, he was charged with agg assault... I have been charged with giving false statements because when I gave my statement I told them I did not know who it was..
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 6, 2011, 08:25 PM

So you saw a crime, knew a person acted in self defense, but would not tell the police that it was self defense ?

Or did you merely say you did not know them.

The penalty varies by what state ( if in the US) I would say be worried, since in many areas they seldom actually charge you with this, so you must have really ( did I say really) make a DA mad or was hurting a case by not telling what you knew
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 6, 2011, 11:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    ...The penalty varies by what state ( if in the US) ...
    Read the title to this thread. Georgia. That's your neck of the woods, isn't it Fr_Chuck?

Closest thing I can find is this:
    "O.C.G.A. § 16-10-20 (2011)
    § 16-10-20. False statements and writings, concealment of facts, and fraudulent documents in matters within jurisdiction of state or political subdivisions
    A person who knowingly and willfully falsifies, conceals, or covers up by any trick, scheme, or device a material fact; makes a false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or representation; or makes or uses any false writing or document, knowing the same to contain any false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or entry, in any matter within the jurisdiction of any department or agency of state government or of the government of any county, city, or other political subdivision of this state shall, upon conviction thereof, be punished by a fine of not more than $1,000.00 or by imprisonment for not less than one nor more than five years, or both."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pregnant/giving birth/false [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, Im new to this but I thought if it helps others it might help me. My cat use to be so skinny and ate like an average cat and a few weeks ago she started eating a lot, I don't over feed her, I give her the right amount but she keeps on asking for more food everyday. I thought I would just...

Giving my brother false hope? [ 13 Answers ]

My brother and his (now ex) girlfriend had a baby less than a year ago. This baby was taken by DCF and they have both, separately, been working towards reunification with their child. I read that Vermont law states that a parents right can be terminated if they have been charged with a felony. ...

View more questions Search