Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Askme21 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2010, 01:40 PM
    Dissertation Topic
    Hi everyone, I really urgently need your help on this.
    I am currently in my third year, doing a dissertation on Medical Tourism. I am struggling with trying to find Academic literature on this topic. There are plenty of journals but no books and I really need books. So has anyone done anything on this topic before and could someone please guide me, tell me where I should look for these books. I am not looking for guide books on medical tourism or case studies but rather definitions and discussions on this type of tourism.

Thank you in advance...
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 4, 2010, 02:10 PM

Hi Askme, excellent topic, medical tourism. More and more people are travelling outside their countries for medical procedures. Healthcare workers, doctors, dentists are travelling too, in order to find jobs further affield in other countries. It is a tremendous breakthrough with so many opportunities.

I did a little research on Google, wikipedia have an excellent website on medical tourism and there are a few other websites in Google, which you may access and I trust you will find, not necessarily books, but papers written by medical professionals on their findings doing work in other countries.

Good luck

Tick
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 4, 2010, 02:38 PM

I checked the Wikipedia article's bibliography and noticed that there are no books cited, only journal and magazine articles, as well as interviews. Medical tourism is a fairly new concept, so I'm guessing there aren't many books about it yet. I did check WorldCat and found a book which you can obtain through your library's interlibrary loan system. Be sure to check the bibliography of this and any other book you come cross that refers to medical tourism. (Wikipedia gives synonyms to use when searching.) Be sure to have your university library do a literature search for you and specify books.--

The complete travel detective bible : the consummate insider tells you what you need to know in an increasingly complex world! / Peter Greenberg
    English xv, 624 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
    Emmaus, Penn. : Rodale, ; ISBN: 9781594867088 (pbk.) 1594867089 (pbk.)

Covering every aspect of the domestic and international travel process, shares the author's expertise as he offers tips on how to find the best accommodations, fares, service, tours, and activities at the lowest possible prices.

Access: Link to external web site Table of contents for The complete travel detective bible

# Availability: Libraries worldwide that own item: 735

Abstract: Covering every aspect of the domestic and international travel process, shares the author's expertise as he offers tips on how to find the best accommodations, fares, service, tours, and activities at the lowest possible prices.

Contents: Airports -- Airlines -- Cars & car rentals -- Ground transportation -- Hotels -- Cruises -- Frequent flier miles / loyalty programs -- Online booking -- Security and terrorism -- Baggage -- Passport rules -- Travel insurance -- Cell phones -- Travel health -- Accessible travel -- Family travel -- Women's travel -- Gay and lesbian travel -- Senior travel -- Solo travel -- Student travel -- Pet travel -- Biking -- Camping, RVing, and boating safety -- Hiking -- National & State Parks -- Responsible travel -- Weather vacations -- Culinary travel -- Volunteer vacations -- Affinity travel -- Participatory & educational travel -- Spiritual travel -- Tough travel -- Medical tourism.
    SUBJECT(S)
    Descriptor: Travel.
    Note(s): Includes index.
    Class Descriptors: LC: G151; Dewey: 910.4
    Document Type: Book; Internet Resource
    Date of Entry: 20070727
    Update: 20091018
    Accession No: OCLC: 159919437
    Database: WorldCat
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 4, 2010, 02:47 PM

Here's another one --

Larry's kidney : being the true story of how I found myself in China with my black sheep cousin and his mail-order bride, skirting the law to get him a transplant -- and save his life / Daniel Asa Rose
    2009 1st ed.
    English xiv, 305 p. ; 24 cm.
    New York : William Morrow, ; ISBN: 9780061708701 : 0061708704 :

An account of the author's attempt to help his cousin receive an illegal kidney transplant and get a mail-order bride describes how their efforts were marked by a disability settlement, a nun's forged recommendation letter, and the author's well-meant intentions to restore East-West relations.

Access: Link to external web site Contributor biographical information for Library of Congress control number 2009517312

# Availability: Libraries worldwide that own item: 399

Contents: 1 The Phone Call 1 -- 2 McMao 12 -- 3 The Larry and Mary Show 22 -- 4 Making Love Out of Nothing at All 40 -- 5 Situation Splendid 56 -- 6 "Chutzpah" Is a Jewish Word 67 -- 7 Good Luck, We Trick You 83 -- 8 Anaerobic Memories 101 -- 9 The Kidnap Cabbie 114 -- 10 Welcome to the Super 2 129 -- 11 Return of the Kidnap Cabbie 144 -- 12 Shabbos Duck 159 -- 13 Dear Florida Power & Light 178 -- 14 Long, Long Live! 197 -- 15 Knock-Knock-Knock 208 -- 16 Thousand-Year-Old Panda 223 -- 17 Fate Make Us Together 234 -- 18 The Last Kidney in China 249 -- 19 Long Live Larry 265 -- 20 The Art of War 283.

Standard No: ISBN: 9780061708701 :; 0061708704 : LCCN: 2009-517312

Abstract: An account of the author's attempt to help his cousin receive an illegal kidney transplant and get a mail-order bride describes how their efforts were marked by a disability settlement, a nun's forged recommendation letter, and the author's well-meant intentions to restore East-West relations.

SUBJECT(S)
    Descriptor: Kidneys -- Transplantation -- Patients -- United States -- Biography.
    Medical tourism -- China -- Case studies.
    Authors, American -- 21st century -- Family relationships.
    Named Person: Feldman, Larry -- Health.
    Rose, Daniel Asa -- Family.
    Rose, Daniel Asa.

Class Descriptors: LC: RD575; Dewey: 617.4610592
    Material Type: Biography (bio)
    Document Type: Book
    Entry: 20081017
    Update: 20100921
    Accession No: OCLC: 262884335
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 4, 2010, 02:53 PM

And a third --

The tourism and leisure industry : shaping the future / Klaus Weiermair; Christine Mathies
    English xxvi, 357 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
    New York : Haworth Hospitality Press, ; ISBN: 0789021021 (hb. : alk. Paper) 9780789021021 (hb. : alk. Paper) 078902103X (pbk. : alk. Paper) 9780789021038 (pbk. : alk. Paper)

Access: Link to external web site Table of contents for Library of Congress control number 2003022556
    # Availability: Libraries worldwide that own item: 344

Contents: After the Anthill Was Stomped: The Customization of Life and Leisure / Geoffrey Godbey -- Leisure Futures: A Change in Demography? / David K. Foot -- Concerns and Considerations about the Future of Youth's Leisure: An International Perspective / Linda L. Caldwell, Cheryl K. Baldwin -- A Leisure Lifestyle Study of the Generation X in New Zealand / Sarah Todd, Rob Lawson, Juergen Gnoth -- Spacing and Timing in Leisure Activities / Gabriele Morello -- The Rediscovery of Slowness or Leisure Time As a Time of One's Own and As a Self-Aggrandizement? / Karlheinz Woehler -- Can Slow Tourism Bring New Life to Alpine Regions? / Rafael Matos -- Leisure Investments: Global Supply and Demand / John R. Kelly -- Intercultural Behavior: Glimpses of Leisure from an Asian Perspective / John Ap -- Cultural Tourism and the Leisure Paradigm: The Australian Experience / Francis Lobo; A Comparison of Leisure Styles in Germany, France, Italy, Great Britain, Spain, and Portugal / Joan Sureda, Josep-Francesc Valls -- The Hybrid Consumer of Leisure Squeezed Between Fun Maximization, Chill Out, and the Radical Search For Inner Values / Andreas Reiter -- Wellness: A New Perspective for Leisure Centers, Health Tourism, and Spas in Europe on the Global Health Market / Wolfgang Nahrstedt -- Alpine Health Tourism: Future Prospects from a Medical Perspective / Wolfgang Schobersberger, Sven Greie, Egon Humpeler -- Skiers, Ski Bums, Trust Fund Babies, Migrants, Techies, and Entrepreneurs: The Changing Face of the Colorado Ski Industry / Richard R. Perdue -- Theme Park Tourist Destination: Creating an Experience Setting in Traditional Tourist Destinations with Staging Strategies of Theme Parks / Roland Scheurer -- The Future Role of Sporting Events: Evaluating the Impacts on Tourism / Simon Hudson... [et al.]; Future Living Conditions and Mobility: Travel Behavior of Alpine Tourists / Thomas Bieger, Christian Laesser -- From "Predatory" to "Experience" Tourism: Estimating Tourist Fruition for a Greenway / Maria Carla Furlan, Sabrina Meneghello, Valeria Minghetti -- Searching for Experience: Technology-Related Trends Shaping the Future of Tourism / Daniel R. Fesenmaier, Ulrike Gretzel -- Italian Tourism on the Internet : New Business Models / Magda Antonioli Corigliano, Rodolfo Baggio -- Electronic Travel Recommendation Agents and Tourist Choice / Gerald Häubl, Benedict G.C. Dellaert -- The Assessment of Tourism and Leisure Trends by Means of Online Management Information Systems / Karl Wöber.

SUBJECT(S)
    Descriptor: Tourism -- Congresses.
    Leisure industry -- Congresses.
    Turismo -- Congresos
    Industria del ocio -- Congresos
    Tourisme -- Congrès.
    Loisirs -- Industrie -- Congrès.
    Tourisme -- Aspect économique.
    Loisirs -- Industrie.
    Loisirs -- Aspect économique.
    Freizeitverhalten
    Tourismus
    Identifier: Leisure industry
    Note(s): Includes bibliographical references and index.
    General Info: National bibliography no: GBA589896
    Class Descriptors: LC: G154.9; Dewey: 338.4/791
    Material Type: Conference publication (cnp); Internet resource (url)
    Date of Entry: 20031014
    Update: 20100702
    Accession No: OCLC: 53223604
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 4, 2010, 02:59 PM

And a fourth (go to your library and ask for a WorldCat search) --

The globalization of health care : can medical tourism reduce health care costs? : hearing before the Special Committee on Aging, United States Senate, One Hundred Ninth Congress, second session, Washington, DC, June 27, 2006.

United States. Congress. Senate. Special Committee on Aging.
    English Internet Resource Internet Resource iii, 63 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
    Washington : U.S. G.P.O. : For sale by the Supt. Of Docs. U.S. G.P.O. ; ISBN: 016077988X 9780160779886

Access: Link to external web site http://purl.access.gpo.gov/GPO/LPS78404

# Availability: Libraries worldwide that own item: 314

Standard No: ISBN: 016077988X; 9780160779886; LCCN: 2007-414518

SUBJECT(S)
    Descriptor: Medical care, Cost of.
    Medical care, Cost of -- United States.
    Medical tourism.
    Surgery -- Economic aspects.
    Surgery -- Economic aspects -- United States.

Note(s): "Printed for the use of the Special Committee on Aging."/ Shipping list no.: 2007-0077-P./ Distributed to some depository libraries in microfiche./ "Serial no. 109-26."/ Also available via Internet from the GPO Access web site. Address as of 2/8/07: ERROR!! current access is available via PURL./ Report: Serial no. 109-26 (United States. Congress. Senate. Special Committee on Aging)
    General Info: Other format available: Online version:; United States. Congress. Senate. Special Committee on Aging.; Globalization of health care.; Washington : U.S. G.P.O. : For sale by the Supt. Of Docs. U.S. G.P.O. 2006
    Class Descriptors: LC: KF26.5; GovDoc: Y 4.AG 4:S.HRG.109-659; GPO Item No: 1009-B-01; 1009-B-01 (online); 1009-C-01 (MF); 1009-C-01 (online)
    Other Titles: Can medical tourism reduce health care costs?
    Material Type: Government publication (gpb); National government publication (ngp); Internet resource (url); eBook (ebk)
    Date of Entry: 20070514
    Update: 20100809
    Accession No: OCLC: 76827838

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hr dissertation topic [ 1 Answers ]

Helo everyone! I'm doing my masters in hr n have to submit a dissertation but still very confused about the topic.can any one suggest me something?

Dissertation Topic! [ 3 Answers ]

Hey, I'm a student at Napier University (Edinburgh) and am about to go not my 4th and final honours year!! The problem being that I have not been able to select a dissertation project!! I'm a good researcher and a alrite writer of reports, not the best at programming but could get the job done...

Topic for a dissertation [ 1 Answers ]

I need a topic for my dissertation in human resources

View more questions Search