Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jguz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2010, 10:31 PM
    I Work for An Independent Contractor, Will I get a 1099 or a W-2?
    My friend got her license to be an independent contractor and she hired me as her helper, she's very professional and paid me by using her business check every month last year but she never deducted anything for any kind of taxes. Will she need to pay taxes for medicare and ss and what form will I get from her for tax puposses ?
    Thank you,
    Janet
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2010, 03:06 PM
    Hi, Jguz!

Since your question has so much to do with taxes, I've moved it to this forum topic area where it will be more likely to be noticed and addressed by our Tax Experts.

Thanks!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 26, 2010, 02:53 PM
    Janet:

If she is an independent contractor, then, by definition, so are you.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 27, 2010, 12:35 PM

You will get 1099-misc.
    1099-misc income: You are self employed or independent contractor. You must file your tax return if yourself employed income is $400 or more. You will report your income and business related expenses on schedule C or C-EZ (Form 1040). Then you put net income (or loss) on line 12 of Form 1040. This income is subject to SE tax at 15.3% (this is shown on line 57 of Form 1040). Self employed, independent contractor or sole proprietor Your U.S. Tax Return: Tax Filing by Self Employed Sole Proprietor or Independent Contractor

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Independent Contractor (1099-MISC) Per Diem Issue [ 3 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I am an independent contractor (sole proprieter) nearing the end of my first year of business. I am a Petroleum Landman and receive a daily rate plus per diem. We, the contractors, submit invoices that breakdown our daily rate, $35 food per diem, $70 lodging per diem, and $10...

New independent contractor getting paid on 1099 [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I got laid off in January. In March, I got a temporary job working as a contractor for 3 months. I will be making around $10k during this period. Can I invest all in Self Employed 401k so I don't have to pay any taxes? If I invest all the money in Self Employed 401k then Do I have to pay SS and...

Tracking expenses as Independent Contractor (W2/1099 split) [ 2 Answers ]

I started working as an independent contractor in January for the first time. My main gig averages about 30 billable hours per week and is a clear 1099 situation. I think I have a good understanding of what I can deduct for expenses, insurance, etc on the 1099 front. I've now taken a second gig...

Independent contractor if F-1, no 1099 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am an F-1 student on OPT. I worked part-time for several companies over the past year, and I received forms (1099-Misc, 1042-s) from a couple of them. I also worked as a tutor (literacy, reading) for a couple of families. There was no discussion about taxes in the beginning, and they...

View more questions Search