Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dionte01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2007, 07:15 PM
    Double your money
    If you deposit money today into an account that pays 6.5 percent interest, how long will it take for the money to double.
    wallabee4 Posts: 294, Reputation: 19

Apr 25, 2007, 08:12 PM
    Is it simple interest or compounded interest?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 26, 2007, 05:34 AM
    An easy way to estimate this is to use the "rule of 72." Assuming compounding as in most financial investments, divide 72 by the interest rate percent to get an approximation of how many years the account takes to double in value. In this case 72 divided by 6.5 gives approximately 11 years.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2007, 05:39 AM
    The harder way is to work out a formula.

Say you start with 1 dollar, and you get 6.5% interest per year.

so each year, you multiply what you have in the account by 1.065

so year 0 you have $1, year 1 you have $1*1.065, year 2 you have $1*1.065*1.065

Now we see that we can turn this into a pattern: where n is the number of years.

Now you want 2 dollars at the end of the day, so you need to solve

Are you studying logarithms? Can you solve this for n?
    adrianenagy2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2007, 06:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dionte01
    If you deposit money today into an account that pays 6.5 percent interest, how long will it take for the money to double.
    what is the future value of a 5-year annuity due that promises to pay you $300 each year? Assume that all payments are reinvested at 7 percent a year, until year 5.
    adrianenagy2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2007, 06:37 AM
    If you deposit money today into an account that pays 6.5 percent interest, how long will it take for the money to double
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 30, 2007, 06:40 AM
    AN2 - your most recent question has already been asked and answered. As for your previous post, (1) looks like a homework problem to me, so please tell us where you are having difficulty, and (2) you should not tag a new question onto an existing thread - start a new question.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 30, 2007, 06:41 AM
    Hello:

Is there an echo in here?

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Double Vision [ 3 Answers ]

What would cause double vision after 6 hrs flying, the double vision last 6 hrs. not other symptons, just slight headache.

How long to double your money? [ 1 Answers ]

If you deposit money today into an account that pays 6.5 percent interest, how long will it take for you to double your money?

Double taxation [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a US citizen of Indian origin. I am working in the US and hold non-qualified stock options (of my company which is co-headquared out of the US and India). If I now go and settle (long term) in India, and exercise my options, will I be liable to paying any taxes in the US? (I...

Double breaker? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have recently put in a new 200 amp. Service and had to install a large J-box to extend the wiring to the new location, (not very far). My problem is that I have a new 2-pole 40 amp. Breaker for the "A/C", and a 15 amp. Breaker for the "furnace". My confussion is that either of these breakers...

Double Combo vs Double Tee [ 24 Answers ]

Hi All, The drains of my two storey home drain to one point at my basement ceiling, and then vertically to the basement floor via a 3" DWV pipe to a 4" sanitary tee that horizontally provides 1) a clean-out and 2) drain to the septic out the foundation wall. The center-line of the 4" sanitary is...

View more questions Search