Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jammixmaster Posts: 282, Reputation: 15

Sep 30, 2008, 01:43 PM
    Confused about Stock Market
    There's something about the stock market I don't understand. Take Howard Stern, when he went to Sirius Satellite Radio a few years back, Sirius made him a deal. If he could bring at least 10% of his regular radio fans to Sirius they'll give him stock options. He was able to bring a little bit more than 10% and they gave him stock options worth $370 million.

Now, my question is, does Howard Stern have to sell those stocks to use that $370 million? Or can he use the stocks themselves as actual cash. I mean, I'm sure he gets paid millions to be a shock jock on Sirius, but he recently purchased a home in the Hamptons for upwards of $20 million... I'm not so sure Sirius pays that well. So again, would he have to sell the stocks to use the $370 million?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2008, 02:00 PM
    Hello j:

Well, as you described it, he only has an option to buy the stock at a certain price. The $370 million was what he could have sold the options for on the day he got them. Every day after that, the options were either worth MORE or LESS.

I don't know the price of the stock WHEN he got his option. It was selling for close to $8 bucks at its high in '04. But, today it's selling for $.57. If he got the options at the top, and still holds them today, his $137 million has shrunk down to $9 million.

The purchase of a home for $20 million would only require a down payment of about $2 million in this market, and he could borrow that using his options as collateral, from any bank.

excon
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 30, 2008, 02:03 PM

Yes, he has to exercise the option and then sell the stock to get the cash. What one does to get the benefit of a stock option is (1) exercise the option - which means putting up cash to buy the shares from the company at the option strike price) - and then (2) sell the stock on the open market at the prevailing price. Steps 1 amd 2 can be combined to happen simultaneously, so you don't have to actually put up the cash to exercise the option to buy shares. Here's an example: suppose you have an option to buy 100 shares of XYZ company at $10/share, and the curent market price is $16. You exercise the option, basically putting up 100*$10 = $1,000 to buy the 100 options from the company, then you sell the 100 shares at $16 and get $1600 back. So you net $600 profit, less any income taxes due. Hope this helps.

Sep 30, 2008, 07:55 PM

I'm still not sure I get it. Another example is Warren Buffet. Forbes estimates his net worth to be $63 billion (February 2008). His annual income is only $100,000. Most of his billions come from his shares in Coca-Cola and American Express. I think he owns $17 billion of American Express and $6 billion of Coca-Cola. Does this mean that in order to actually be able to use the $17 billion of American Express he'd have to sell it? And if so, in reality he doesn't have $17 billion, he has $17 billion in assets? UGH I'm so confused
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 30, 2008, 08:01 PM

Yes, he does not have the money if it is in stock, he would have to sale the stock or borrow against the stock to use the money.
    Stock prices go up an down every day ( many times a day on some)
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2008, 04:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jammixmaster View Post
    im so confused
    Hello again, j:

That's because you think that a paper dollar is MONEY, whereas a paper stock certificate isn't MONEY. They're both the same. And, NEITHER of them is money. They're pieces of paper that you can exchange for real money. The paper itself isn't worth anything, so your paper only REPRESENTS wealth. It ISN'T the wealth itself.

REAL money is a storehouse of value. Since paper dollars have been losing their value, they're no more a storehouse of value than the stock certificate or your home these days.

A REAL storehouse of value would be those things that you can exchange for goods and services WITHOUT losing your wealth every time you change it in. Consequently, the only real money today is the only real money there ever has been, and that's gold.

I don't know if I've answered your question, or just confused you more.

excon
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 1, 2008, 06:11 AM

One other point - usually in valuing one's net worth Forbes multiples the number of shares of stock the person has times its current market price, and ignore the tax implications of selling the stock. If Buffet were to actually try to sell $6B of Coke stock not only would that probably cause the market price of Coke stock to tank, but also he'd have to pay the IRS a percentage for taxes on his capital gain. Currently that percentage is "only" 15%, but who knows what might happen to that tax rate when a new administartion takes office. Bottom line is that his $6B in Coke stock isn't really worth $6B.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 1, 2008, 06:19 AM

A share of stock represents a part ownership in a company. The value of that share is tied to the value of the company as a whole.

Stock certificates are not legal tender as paper money is. So to get legal tender, one has to sell the shares.

Oct 1, 2008, 07:54 AM

All right. Thanks for all of your help everyone. I think I understand now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stock Market [ 4 Answers ]

If there is a ten thousand dollar investment and a stock goes from $65 per share to say $70 per share, how much was approximately made?

F1 Student Income tax on the US Stock Market ? [ 1 Answers ]

HI, I would like to ask whether a F1/F2 Student that didn't receive any Social Security ID have to pay tax or not ? I'm holding Indonesian passport (foreigner). And my wife try to continue her study in US, therefore she want to apply student visa for that (F1 Visa), and that makes me have...

Stock Market Trader [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Im a 33 years old individual online-stocks trader. I love my profession and want it to become my life time career. What do I need to make this going good?

View more questions Search