Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Taiga Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2007, 07:33 AM
    Statue of Limitations
    I am currently doing a little research for something I'm writing and am trying to make sure I have the proper information. I tried looking it up myself, but I ended up getting confused and finding conflicting information. What is the statue of limitations for breaking in entering without the intent to hurt someone?

p.s. If you are just guessing please don't answer.

Any state in the U.S. will do as long as you indicate, I would prefer Oregon.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 14, 2007, 07:36 AM
    Hello Tiaga:

I guess every state has different ones. I could be wrong, but I'm not.

excon
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 14, 2007, 07:50 AM
    excon is correct. Not only does the statute vary from state to state it also varies depending on the crime. Intent has little to do with the statute since that has yet to be proved. Can you be more specific?
    Uber Member

May 14, 2007, 07:59 AM
    Hello again, Tiaga:

Maybe if you spelled it right too, you might get better results. It's a statute, not a statue.

excon
    Uber Member

May 14, 2007, 08:13 AM
    Hello again, Tiaga:

Ok, Oregon it is.

As I suspected, it's not as simple as you would like it to be. Nothing in the law ever is. However, given the limited amount of information we have to deal with, my research indicates that it could be 4 years.

Wthout further information, I can't give you an absolute. I notice that you're calling it breaking and entering. The prosecutor might call it burglary, and that changes everything. Plus, it's been my experience that many people think the statute does things it doesn't do. So, maybe if you gave us more details about the particular situation you're confronted with, we could be more help.

Unless of course, you're writing a paper... But, nahhhh. You are in trouble or you know somebody who is.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 14, 2007, 09:13 AM
    First for example in GA there is no such thing as breaking and entering, it will be burglary if they actually steal something, or criminal tresspass if they don't steal something,

This can make the SOL on the felony 7 years.

Nor this is from the time the crime happened, to the time someone is charged, So if the criminal is known, but not caught and a warrant is issued in the 7 years, the warrant stays good forever and for the person charged, the SOL freezes the moment the charge is made and warrant issued.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Statue of limitations [ 7 Answers ]

Does anyone know how long it take for a bench warrant in British columbia to dissapear:confused:

Statue of Limitations [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I have a question about the statue of limitations. In 2003 my boyfriend at the time, (now husband) was injured at a rodeo in Utah. At that time we lived in Idaho and still do, we were just at a rodeo when he was injured. We received a bill for charges and paid those charges off. But apparently...

Statue of limitations [ 2 Answers ]

What is the statue of limitations for credit card debt in the state of New Jersey?

Statue of Limitations on a warrant [ 1 Answers ]

I left a work release in another state and the state put out a warrant for my arrest. I am now living in another state where they can't extradite me. I have family back in the state that I left. I have heard that there's a 5 year limit and the state can't do anything if I go back is this true?

Statue of limitations [ 2 Answers ]

Have an old debt owing to a city for a speeding ticket, 17 years ago. Does statue of limitations take affect?

View more questions Search