Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2008, 01:46 PM
    Telemarketing call today - worked great
    An I guy with an Indian accent call me. They have been calling a lot so I got wise.

Said my credit card was selected for a shopping spree.

I asked him how the weather was in India. He said he wasn't in India. I knew that from caller ID.

Then I asked him if he would respond to his offer.

He hung up on me. Yippee! LOL
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2008, 02:01 PM

I got a call from someone with a heavy Indian accent who called himself "Jeff". He could barely speak proper English. I don't remember what the pitch was, but I sure find it interesting that they are now using "American" names for their pitches.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2008, 12:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    An I guy with an Indian accent call me. They have been calling a lot so I got wise.

Said my credit card was selected for a shopping spree.

I asked him how the weather was in India. He said he wasn't in India. I knew that from caller ID.

Then I asked him if he would respond to his offer.

He hung up on me. Yippee! LOL
    Excellent retort! I'll have to remember that.

My elderly neighbor says the following when getting hassled by unsolicited callers:

"I'm old and near death". Puts a stop to the unwanted call right away!
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Dec 5, 2008, 02:07 AM

I have many horror stories about receiving sales calls at home, especially from other countries and at dinner time.

I know that it is simple but I first ask them if they are trying to sell me something? (They usually say "NO"... "I just want to inform you about something.") Then I stop them when I simply tell them that I have no money.
    stanj028 Posts: 33, Reputation: -6
    -

Dec 5, 2008, 07:33 AM

By the way guys, if you feel the accent on the phone is too strong and you honestly can't understand them, you do have the legal right to ask for a 100% (your language) speaker, if they can't then there company can't be legitimate or it farseeing laws, also if you keep getting funny calls from other countrys, try to see if you are in your local directory, people often look there and take your number.

Please rate my erm... kind of answer

Standen
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 9, 2008, 03:04 PM

Sorry stan, no such law, while it wold make good sense for them to have people that speak better english or spanish, unless it is a government agency there is no requirement for them to have translation. You have the right to hang up, For example some companies such as maybe a security alarm company locally may only have one or two sales people making calls, there is not people of all languages there, just the two people.

Most of the callers are larger companies and they use automatic dialers that ring the caller first if your number actually rings
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2008, 03:10 PM

I got a really weird call the other day.

It started with an automated voice "Please hold the line, there is a problem with your credit card account" something like that, I don't recall exactly the message buy they worked the name of my bank in there.

Then someone comes on saying they want to offer me a lower rate credit card, they just need my address and credit card number.

I of course didn't answer but said "I thought you were calling from (my bank) why do you need my credit card number" and they hung up.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2008, 03:14 PM

I got the same one. I just held the line. If I would have had the other phone, I would have had them listen to the radio for a while.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HB outdoor lighting, worked great now does not turn on at all. [ 1 Answers ]

As a single (adorable cute smart babe) mom with a new house and concerned about safety as well as aesthetics, while on a minimal budget, I personally installed and have been so pleased with my Hampton Bay outdoor lights. The system worked absolutely great for six months or so, but now the box just...

Hi-lift light brown dye worked great on roots but rest of hair is red! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone. I have a hair dye problem that I was hoping someone with knowledge and schooling, or even someone who has had a similar problem could help me out. I am half asian with long dark brown, finer not really asian feeling hair and I decided that I wanted to go a lighter colour. My desired...

A Great Product that worked for my Dark Skin [ 4 Answers ]

I recently purchased a new lightening system by Flori Roberts called ENLIGHTEN. It's a toner, cleanser, and moisturizer/cream kit that is all natural and is specifically designed to lighten darker complexions. I have been using it for three weeks now and have noticeably gone a shade lighter. My...

View more questions Search