Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    katyh96 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2014, 10:36 AM
    How to fix floor boards
    I need to replace the carpet in my dad's house but realized the entire floor needs to be repaired. My husband thinks he can fix it himself (of course). How difficult of a project is this? Can we just get materials from Lowe's and do it yourself or am I getting in over my head? Oh yeah, There's minimal experience.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2014, 05:30 PM
    Difficulty depends on the type of flooring under the carpet and how big a project. Plywood? Diagonal pine boards? Under walls? Depending on the size , may or may not be a DIY job. Typically you find a joist, cut along the centerline then cut across and add a brace. I just replaced about 60 sq. ft. of 3/4 ply without any problems. Screw the new floor down and use adhesive.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2014, 08:56 AM
    If you can give us more info Brian and/or I will be able to help you more. There are also other experts here that can help. If you can supply a picture would be great.

Explain what repairs have to be made. The type of floor and approximate area to repair.

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Damp soil under floor boards [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I live in a 1950s house and have wooden floorboards downstairs I lifted some of the boards and found damp mud is this normal as having trouble keeping the house warm. I have underlay and an axminster carpet and you have to sit with your feet up or they freeze why is this?

Cat wee smell from under my floor boards [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently noticed a cat wee smell in my hall, we don't have a cat and never have had, which comes and goes. We thought it was from a rain water drain just outside the front door but having checked that that isn't blocked and the other drains are running clear, we are at a total loss as to...

Ripping up carpet and polishing floor boards [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, how difficult is it to rip up carpet and polish floor boards? Can I do it myself?

Squeaking floor boards [ 7 Answers ]

I have an area in one of my rooms, which is carpeted, that always squeaks in the summer months. How can I stop this without having to have the carpet taken up?

Loose floor boards under carpet [ 3 Answers ]

We have a squeeky board under the carpet on a second floor room. Should we use a screw or a nail to try and resecure it? Any pointers on how to isolate the spot to work on, since it seems to cover a few feet as you walk across it.

View more questions Search