Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    theresajune Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2014, 04:08 PM
    Installing new tub... what to put under it?
    Our contractor is installing our Kohler/Sterling tub. I don't think he has intentions to level it and said to put felt underneath the tub. I've been reading a lot of comments on here as well as others on Google, and everyone says to use a mortar bed. Has anyone ever heard of putting felt under a new tub on the plywood?
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 19, 2014, 04:29 PM
    I mixed a bucket of mortar, poured a pile in the center of the tub space, and set the bub down into it.. leveled it off and let it set to dry. On both my bathroom. One was on concrete the other on a an upper level plywood sub-floor.

Its meant to be a central point of support for the tub, which with you and a lot of water in it is significant otherwise you will likely have caulking issues or worse down the road. Lighter built tubs WILL flex and crack without it.

THe ones I've seen the bottom of the tub will NOT rest on the floor as the skirt is longer putting all the weight on the edges and the skirt.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 21, 2014, 04:34 AM
    Kohler/sterling tubs have VERY specific bedding substrate instructions...some tubs need to be supported using structolite perlited gypsum plaster, others need a plaster or mortar bed and yet others are required to have adhesive caulking join the ribs of the tub to the floor. As you suspected, installing a felt bottom is not common practice!

Contact kohler directly and ask the tech. support department what should be done with your specific tub, OK? Here is the contact info.:

18004KOHLER

The warranty on the tub is voided if the tub is not bedded per instructions!

You could also search out the exact installation guide for your tub if you know the model name. Check for it at: www.us.kohler.com

Good luck!

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help installing a tub [ 4 Answers ]

I want to install a whirlpoot tub and take out an existing free standing shower. The shower is on a concrete slab. How difficult will the plumbing work be and what do I need to do?

Installing a shower where a tub used to be? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone :), I am hoping I may be able to get some insight on a HUGE problem I have. My husband and I recently discovered that our wall in our bathtub has mold on it and was starting to cave in. This is the main large wall that is in between the two skinny walls in the bath tub (above the tub)...

Installing new trap under tub [ 6 Answers ]

Thanks to the advice on this board, I managed to remove the old trap and drain, but now I am having trouble finding a trap that will fit in the small space I have to work with. I am including pictures below showing my quandary. The hole you see leads to my laundry room in the basement. The space...

Installing a new whirlpool tub [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know what are the steps in installing a new whirlpool tub .ie do I,have to put Down some cement pads or plywood or something I'm a do it yourselfer. My my line is absorption. But with th rigth help I know I could do it . If I' could help anyone with ac problems just ask:eek:

View more questions Search