Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wauya Posts: 93, Reputation: -5

Jan 10, 2012, 01:21 PM
    Kco,I don't mind you be so blunt,since you ask me what the world I am talking I have to respons.I gave the same answer as you did it is no for the employer but for the doctor part you jump the conclusion to fast.This not debating it is lay down the facts;first you don't know what kind of illness she has if she is suffering from a form of new virus infections which we humen being has no immunity to it if she work with a lot of peoples if this virus spread to other peoples will wipe out of whole world of population .What do you think her doctor should do?Tell her employer to stop her to work and report to health dept to isolate her? Is this violation of hipaa?I am not a law people I am a first line health care people every day face this problems.Did her doctor can use the thread to public safety and public health exemption? You tell me.Thanks.
    kcomissiong Posts: 1,166, Reputation: 276
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2012, 01:40 PM
    No, again her doctor could not tell her employer without her consent. Reporting one of the very limited infections diseases to the dept of health as a part of required reporting does not violate HIPAA. Her doctor meets the obligation of protecting public health (as you put it) by reporting to the dept of health. He still cannot report to her employer, and if there is a concern that she is carring some new, wildly imagines virus, the health department would issue any alerts and make appropriate notifications. Her doctor certainly is not free to call her employer or anyone else and tell them that she may be contagious. That is the responsiblitity and mission of the dept of public health, not an individual physician. And I HAVE worked in the "front lines" of health care as you call them. I did as as a epidemiology student during college, while interning at a dept. of public health in Virginia.

Why are you fabricating situations that are not subject to HIPAA and have nothing to do with the OP's question? For the third time, this is not relevant to this question. If you wish to continue arguing, PLEASE DO SO IN THE MEMBER FORUMS(Try member discussions). This thread is not appropriate to further continue this discussion.

The OP has the information they need, can an admin close this thread?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 10, 2012, 01:56 PM
    Thead closed.

We are to respond to the OP question, not steal the thread and try to make up all sorts of what if's
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 10, 2012, 03:54 PM
    I'm going to add one more thing here to dccss,

I'm sorry your question went off on a tangent. Unfortunately, we have some members who don't understand the standards of this site and give poor advice.

If you need any further help you can PM me to reopen the thread or start a new question.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Did employer violate my privacy rights [ 3 Answers ]

I recently failed a drug test with my employer. After the company and myself were notified I was terminated. While talking with the company president of human resources I asked that this matter be kept confidential. The next day I received many calls and texts from former workmates. It was quite...

Did the pharmacist violate my rights giving out info on me other than what the [ 6 Answers ]

I have been seeing a doctor for a while about my migrains,he cannot right narcotic pain meds,he can only prescribe back up pain meds,so I went to a nurse practishner that could wright me a narcodic med that helps,and I use the other when I have a headache that can be controlable,so the practishner...

Did my supervisor Violate my HIPPA rights [ 3 Answers ]

I am a nurse at a healthcare facility and I sought the care of one of our social workers/counclers. My supervisor later questioned her as to the nature of my visit and why I was going over to speak with her on my breaks and lunches. She did not tell him but suggested that he was violating Hippa...

What are your rights if you violate probation? [ 2 Answers ]

If someone violated probation while a home search was being done and something was found and they were arrested, do they still have to read miranda rights to them? Can they look in someone's pocketbook at the home of someone else who they are checking on if you are both on probation but the person...

Did I violate this patients HIPAA rights? [ 1 Answers ]

I am the Supervisor of a POL. One of the employees of the X-Ray department asked me for a copy of her Mother's lab results. I refused, citing HIPAA regulations. The employee became very disruptive but I still refused to comply with her request. Because our facility has no clear protocol for...

View more questions Search