Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mitchsc Posts: 802, Reputation: 7

Dec 8, 2010, 05:13 PM
    Thank CD. You would have to read all the way back to my original post to get the details of what I am trying to do with the second drive. It is actually a full clone of the main drive. So whenever she has a HDD crash, I have to open the PC, install the clone, boot to Windows, and then clone back to the corrupted drive. Then I must swap the drives back to original position, and tuck the backup clone away in a drawer. It's a lot of crawling around on the floor.

I just got the idea today, to leave the clone in drive bay 2 (disk 1), and do all of the above without ever opening the PC or leaving my chair.

So it sounds like you are saying that I can leave the clone in drive bay 2, and just change the boot order in Setup to run off the clone and not the corrupted drive. Yes?

I just didn't know if the boot drive had to be connected to the Disk (0) position on the cable to boot to Windows.

Hope I am making sense here.

Thanks again...
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 8, 2010, 05:20 PM

As was mentioned. So long as your "bios" allows you to boot from a different drive then no problem. If it doesn't then your SOL. You would have to make it the "primary" drive inorder to recover. But you can also create "bootable CD's" so you can recover faster and no drive swapping at all. That way you can keep your back ups current to the "extra" drive. You might want to look into "imaging" your C: drive. And put the money saved into your next system :)

If you buy the power supply AND hard drive your getting close to another system already.

You can also check places like...

TigerDirect.com - Computers, Computer Parts, Computer Components, Netbooks & Electronics

Dec 8, 2010, 05:37 PM
    Got it.

Looks like I'll have to plug in my clone drive in bay 2 and see if the BIOS will let me switch the order.

In terms of cost, I have no intention of spending another dime on this PC. The PS is working, and I already have the extra (clone) drive, so it's more of a convenience issue than a cost issue.

This could lead to an entirely new discussion, but my question was based on the fact that her main HDD keeps getting corrupted every 2-3 months for no apparent reason, and won't boot. So I have to go through this stupid process of swapping drives, formatting her corrupted drive, and cloning back to it. I don't know what is causing this, but I've ruled out the drive. I've been told it could be a PS spike or mobo problem. Neither one of which I would replace. At that point, it goes in the trash. But for now, a swap and a clone, and she's up and running. Just trying to save myself a bit of time with this process.

Cheers...
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 8, 2010, 05:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchsc View Post
    Got it.

Looks like I'll have to plug in my clone drive in bay 2 and see if the BIOS will let me switch the order.

In terms of cost, I have no intention of spending another dime on this PC. The PS is working, and I already have the extra (clone) drive, so it's more of a convenience issue than a cost issue.

This could lead to an entirely new discussion, but my question was based on the fact that her main HDD keeps getting corrupted every 2-3 months for no apparent reason, and won't boot. So I have to go thru this stupid process of swapping drives, formatting her corrupted drive, and cloning back to it. I don't know what is causing this, but I've ruled out the drive. I've been told it could be a PS spike or mobo problem. Neither one of which I would replace. At that point, it goes in the trash. But for now, a swap and a clone, and she's up and running. Just trying to save myself a bit of time with this process.

Cheers...

Feel free anytime to come and ask. There are many good users at many levels and it's a great place to expand your knowlage of computers. If your question is related to this computer issue then revist it or if it is about another computer or your simply fishing for ideas then start a new thread. Lots of power users on this site :)

Dec 8, 2010, 05:53 PM
    Thank you...
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Dec 9, 2010, 01:54 AM

A late comment, I would never continue use of a hard drive that "corrupted inexplicably" more than once. The second time, I would toss it, spend $50 on a new primary drive, restore my backup to that new primary drive... and live happily ever after.

This wouldn't be a wasted $50, since a new drive can transfer with you in the future to your next new system, it's an investment that can follow you.

Dec 9, 2010, 06:36 AM
    JB,

I agree, but the problem of the drive getting corrupted is apparently being caused by the PC. I have already replaced the drive twice. 1st with a good used one I had. Then I bought a brand new one, and it keeps happening every several months.

Someone suggested it may be a bad power supply, but this Dell uses a proprietary wiring configuration, and costs more than the PC is worth. Unfortunately, if it is the PS, it may corrupt the backup clone drive as well, if they are both installed at the same time. Would like to try it, however.

This is actually the basis for my question. If I have a cloned drive already installed, I can easily fix the corruption in about 5 minutes.

The obvious solution of course, is to get a new PC, but money is tight here, so the cloning continues for now.

Thanks again...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Desk want boot up all the way can I send a boot disk from my laptop to the desk hard [ 1 Answers ]

Desktop want boot up give me a disk boot failue I do not have disk to insert how do I get it to bootup

Drive not ready. Insert boot disk into drive A: [ 4 Answers ]

I am currently trying to upgrade from windows 98 to windows xp. I have upgraded the RAM to 256. When I reboot I get "Drive not ready.. Insert Boot Disk into Drive A:". I have gone into the BIOS and have changed the boot sequence to boot first from the hard drive then the cd rom. It still...

Laptop won't boot from external hard disk [ 1 Answers ]

I used Acronis 11 to clone the internal hd on my laptop to an external usb hd. I back up my desktop in this way and it works great. Internal drive breaks or gets zapped by a virus and I simply boot from the external. If I boot normally and connect the external drive via USB after windows...

Boot without hard disk [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how can we boot our client from network instead of hard disk?? SHAVED DO YOU KNOW THIS? Please help if every one know about this?

Boot linux from an external hard drive dual boot? [ 1 Answers ]

Can I boot linex from an external hard drive dual boot. How do I do it ?

View more questions Search