Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    luvthisforum Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2012, 03:56 PM
    I recently acquired what I belieIve to be an original by: C. Long. The woman who sold it to me said her husband bought it to hang in his office from a student artist of Russian descent. It makes sense due to the subject matter being 2 young Russians with cossak's on. (russian hats). I also bought 2 other pieces from her that are different artist's yet all 3 are on the same canvas material with the same paper framing, of which her husband at the time bought the three from students. Hope this helps. Thanks, Stephanie
    lvcurrier Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2012, 05:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by luvthisforum View Post
    I recently aquired what I belieIve to be an original by: C. Long. The woman who sold it to me said her husband bought it to hang in his office from a student artist of Russian descent. It makes sense due to the subject matter being 2 young Russians with cossak's on. (russian hats). I also bought 2 other pieces from her that are different artist's yet all 3 are on the same canvas material with the same paper framing, of which her husban at the time bought the three from students. Hope this helps. Thanks, Stephanie
    The artist we are referring to is 'C. Loft', not 'C. Long'. Thanks.
    ivapple Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2012, 09:04 PM
    Hi,
    I am another person who is looking for the same artist. Funny how many people have painting from C. Loft and have no idea who he or she is. I purchased mine today at estate sale for $15 from sweet lady. She told me that she purchased the painting at auction for $275 , didn't wanted to sell it nut had to.
    My painting has a name "bicycle" . It looks like street in Europe (maybe Italy) , there is a house and bicycle is leaning on front wall. Beautiful painting , vibrant colors. Love it.

Jul 2, 2012, 07:20 AM
    How neat! $15--what a deal. How large is it? Did she say how long she owned it or where she bought it? Are your from the US? Mine is interesting--at first, when I looked at it, it appeared to be just an oil painting but, when I look at it now, it looks different. There is glitter all over it, the canvas has a pattern to it and I wonder if some type of ink was used. It's definitely a painting (as there is raised paint), but I wonder how it was created (I'm no art expert). Would love to see a picture (is the signature in red at the lower right?). I have seen no new paintings added to Ebay for months. I wonder if he is using a fake name, or has many fake names. To be that talented yet have so few pieces out there, and be anonymous, seems odd to me. I would love to take mine out of the frame to examine all of it, but it is so beautifully framed,so I won't. Congratulations on your find!

Jul 2, 2012, 09:15 AM
    The painting itself (without frame) is 7.5" x 9.5". Signature is red but in bottom left corner. She didn't tell me how long she had it. I don't know where exactly she bought it except that it was purchased at auction.
    I live in Maryland and I found it while visiting Arlington, Virginia.
    Mine is definitely painting and it makes me even think, that in some places on picture he or she used sand mixed in paint. It has that kind of look. It might just be the paint, but it's pretty neat.
    I don't think personally that the person is using fake name, there is even chance that the person is not alive anymore. How often it happens that someone is talented artist , has lot of his art and then dies. Family just sells the stuff to make some money and here you go - beautiful paintings all over the world and nobody knows who he or she is. Who knows. :-)
    Btw mine has beautiful frame too. Just the frame had to cost lot.
    ( sorry for not using professional terms. English is my second language :-))))

Jul 2, 2012, 09:22 AM
    collectibles pictures by ivapple - Photobucket

Jul 2, 2012, 10:18 AM
    Very, very pretty (as is the frame). The person is definitely very talented, whoever he/she is. And that is the exact signature as all the others I have seen. Have you looked on Ebay? There isn't as many on as at one time, but the subject matter is so varied. From very traditional Mediterrean settings with soft colors, to very vibrant, colorful paintings of women. I don't know much about art, but have been told that the women paintings are in the Style of Tarkay or Maimon. I don't know if he copies famous works. All I know is that the artist is very talented and I wish, if the person were alive, would come forward to solve the mystery. You are VERY lucky to have found that at an estate sale for such a low price. Please keep us posted if you find out any info and we will do the same.
    mandgm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2013, 04:36 PM
    I too have a beautiful painting from this artist signed in the lower right corner (in red) C Loft. The scene is an ocean with sailboats and the patio of a villa with a town in the background. I found this same artwork on Google images for c loft. I bought this painting about 20 years ago in New Orleans. Didn't pay much-don't remember. I was wondering if there have been any new discoveries on the artist. It's pretty neat that his artwork is in so many different places all over the world.
    rwcawley Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2013, 10:37 PM
    I purchased a painting by C Loft in Key West, Floriday in 2000. I bought it from a vendor on the street who told me the artist is Catherine Loft and she is a local painter. No way to know if this is true. My painting is an oil painting, black background with women picking ?fruit? - lots of vibrant colors. It is my favorite painting and I continue to search the internet to see if I can find additional C Loft paintings. Would love to find another painting. C. Loft, where are you?
    mkbraman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2013, 03:08 PM
    Hi everyone - new to this site. Found it by searching for a painting I just bought about an hour ago at the Goodwill for $6 - a wonderful original C Loft painting, of 2 colorful, slender female models surrounded by abstract figures. On the back are stickers saying that it was purchased at Art On The Docks in Tarpon Springs FL. Maybe they can answer who this artist is. Mine measures 20"x24". Can you post photos on here or mention sites where you can place photos? I would to see some of this artist's other paintings & share mine.
    pfigueroa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2013, 12:29 PM
    Hi everyone, I'm new, and I have the same question; my art have like 3 egiptian women, with beautiful colors.
    lafolle717 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2013, 06:43 PM
    We also have a C Loft painting: a large one, framed. My mom said it was of a famous site in Florida where an explorer landed. According to my son, my mom knew the artist. Mom and Dad lived half the year in Fla. My mother took painting lessons there and also did quite a bit of painting. She supposedly traded paintings with this artist. But, I'm afraid we never paid attention and now both of my parents are gone and we can find nothing. I'm going to look through my mom's papers and see if I can find any more info.
    andrew6046 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2013, 07:15 AM
    This is so interesting! I have a 16x20 oil on canvas, antique frame by this artist. Greece or south of France villa on the water.Red signature in bottom right. I bought mine @ auction in a box for $70. I am in Canada. The mystery continues.
    compass045 Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Sep 10, 2013, 12:16 PM
    MY name is Patrick and I have a rendition of repunzle it is very large and has medeteranian villa and churches in background signed C Loft in red bottom left corner canvas is very dark grey this leads me to think it is very old I'm guessing artest died on us long ago as mine was found in an old country barn in a tube

>Email removed per site rules.<
    rosiet Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2013, 05:53 PM
    I too have a picture by c.loft. The subject is two women sitting at a café table. Vibrant colors. The canvas is held to the frame with some duck tape.
    Don't know who put it on. I bought it at a consignment shop in palm coast, fl. And the owner had no idea either. I paid $100. It was $40 at first but she said a man came in and saw it and told her it was an original so she changed the price. I am going to ask her if she remembers who that man is and see what he knows.
    I will put a pic up tomorrow, if not tonight.

Sep 17, 2013, 06:15 PM
    This is strange. I looked at eBay and my same painting is there. The two women at café. Mmm very odd considering he is saying the one he has is original.

Oct 16, 2013, 06:47 PM
    Anyone find anything else out yet/?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Building a Loft Floor [ 4 Answers ]

I have an attached 3 car garage with sheet rocked house walls & ceiling. The rest is bare studs. Wall studs were added to separate the 3rd bay from the other 2, after the house was finished (no footing, just built on top of garage floor.) I am now building a workshop in that 3rd bay & want a...

Loft Fan [ 1 Answers ]

The fan in my loft is suddenly not working. Fuse box is okay, so it may be that it needs to be replaced. Would you call an electrician, or an air conditioner service? Is it possible you can easily replace this on your own. I am concerend I was told to not shut it down in the summer. Thanks in...

My loft smells and I can't figure out why [ 5 Answers ]

Holy guacamole, does our loft smell. It smells like sewage and mold at times, so maybe this is what is causing the smell, but not 100% certain. I live in a loft that I had redone and have lived here for 3 years. For the last 3-6 months there has been a smell that comes and goes. The...

Covering cabling with loft insulation [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, We have just had our loft insulated by a professional firm, and in the loft they have left a checklist (which is not checked) which has a number of questions on it. One of the questions is something like "has all cabling of more than 5a been left uncovered?" They have not left any of the...

Loft conversion [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to convert our attic into a bedroom. Where do I start? The roof structure needs changing, do I need planning permission?

View more questions Search