Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SaddestDay Posts: 16, Reputation: 0

Aug 11, 2008, 06:14 AM
    Like criminal Charges because someone stole my card and committed fraud with my account... and there's no real way proving it wasn't me...

Plus bank manager didn't believe me when I told her what happened...
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 11, 2008, 06:15 AM
    Twinkie is right, what your contract says is a key issue here. Many banks do include language in the contract that allows this.

But I'm a little confused here. You say you owe them $3K in overdrafts? What type of account is this? Did you have overdraft protection? On that account? Normally such protection involves an interest rate until its paid back. So it really makes no sense to charge your credit card for the amount.

I think you need to explain the whole story behind this.

I'm more confused then ever. Someone stole WHAT card? Your credit card? Did you report it? Why would they want to charge your credit card for overdrafts made against it? Please give us the straight story.

Aug 11, 2008, 10:32 AM
    A guy I know stole my bank card. I didn't report it until 3 days later. Somehow he managed to rack up 3k$ in fraudulencies. It went down as overdraft. I went in to the bank to clear it and they said they cannot help me clear my name because I was careless with my card. Originally I was told I have until the end of September to pay everything back, which I have no problem using my student loan to cover. But they held on to my welfare cheque, which put me and my child in some problems seeing how rent is due, I'm getting threats to get evicted. But luckily I had just gotten approved to get a credit card... What the bank manager from my home branch by the manager did was move all the money from my credit card into the account I had overdraft... When I called and inquired they told me that I made the transaction, I showed them that I didn't do that and they said it was made at my home branch... I was told that the bank cannot do that unless I request it or give permission...

No I don't have overdraft protection.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2008, 10:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SaddestDay
    A guy i know stole my bank card. I didn't report it until 3 days later. Somehow he managed to rack up 3k$ in fraudulencies. It went down as overdraft. I went in to the bank to clear it and they said they cannot help me clear my name because i was careless with my card. Originally i was told i have until the end of September to pay everything back, which i have no problem using my student loan to cover. But they held on to my welfare cheque, which put me and my child in some problems seeing how rent is due, i'm getting threats to get evicted. but luckily i had just gotten approved to get a credit card... What the bank manager from my home branch by teh manager did was move all the money from my credit card into the account i had overdraft... When i called and inquired they told me that I made the transaction, I showed them that I didn't do that and they said it was made at my home branch ... I was told that the bank cannot do that unless i request it or give permission...

No i don't have overdraft protection.

To be straight forward, this is NOT the same story you have posted before. The last time you posted this question (1 of the 3 threads you've now started about it) you cashed checks for someone and the checks were fraudulent.

Now it's a different story.

Unless you are willing and able to tell the whole story, exactly as it happened, you are doing little more than taking up people's time for whatever purpose. You are going to get half right legal info because that same legal info is based on half truths.

I personally think this was a scam and your partner turned on you but, hey, that's just my opinion based on seeing more than a couple of these "situations." You are fortunate you are not in the US because you would either be sitting in jail or out on bail.

Aug 11, 2008, 10:43 AM
    Ok, so this is not a credit card, but a debit card linked to your account?

Not sure what Canada law is on this, but in the US you would only be responsible for $50.

How did you report it? Was it reported after you were made aware of the charges or before? Do you have a police report?

If there is a police report of this, then, you should be able to get the bank to remove the chanrges.
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2008, 10:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Ok, so this is not a credit card, but a debit card linked to your account?

Not sure what Canada law is on this, but inthe US you would only be responsible for $50.

How did you report it? Was it reported after you were made aware of the charges or before? Do you have a police report?

If there is a police report of this, then, you should be able to get the bank to remove the chanrges.

Scott - before you waste any more time on this take a look at the other 2 threads. The situation is most definitely not as described here - and it may not be as described on the other 2 threads.

Aug 11, 2008, 10:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    Scott - before you waste any more time on this take a look at the other 2 threads. The situation is most definitely not as described here - and it may not be as described on the other 2 threads.
    Yeah I just did look. Your right, we aren't being told the true story.

Aug 11, 2008, 10:51 AM
    Truth is, yes there's fraud, yes the guy stole my card,
    Yes I talked to a manager, she gave me till the end of September
    Yes they held my welfare and now they've took everything off my credit card
    Yes I reported my card stolen, yes they said I'm still responsible for funds missing

Nothings really changed, it's just different parts
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2008, 10:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Yeah I just did look. Your right, we aren't being told the true story.

Wonder if the posts could be combined and/or shut down?

I wasted enough time looking at the law just so OP could post 1/3 of the story - again.

Aug 11, 2008, 11:20 AM
    Sooo I shouldve posted everything in one thread?
    My apologies.

Aug 11, 2008, 11:21 AM
    Merged all pertient threads
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2008, 11:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SaddestDay
    sooo i shouldve posted everything in one thread?
    my apologies.

Nooo - you should have posted the same story twice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unauthorized email access [ 4 Answers ]

I live in Pennsylvania. A co-worker of mine found my personal (not work related at all) email password and used it to read my emails without my knowledge or permission. She is divorcing and found some slightly inappropriate emails between her husband and I. Can she use these in court? Is it...

Unauthorized entry laws [ 2 Answers ]

OK I live in the country where every one that farms and I had my car parked on my land and half of my car was parked on someone else's land and the onwer came by and entered my suv and took my regerstation and called the sheriff and gave all my papers to the sheriff on top of stealing out of my car...

Unauthorized Charges [ 4 Answers ]

I recently made a payment to earthlink with my bankcard and the next day they charged me an additional 154.90 without my knowledge.when I called the companythey said that once they have your card numberthey can use it for anything that is due even without your permission to keep the number on file...

Unauthorized entry [ 2 Answers ]

I came and was barely able to get into my driveway. I live in a cul-de-sac the entire cul-de-sac was packed and I could barely get through. Once I did get through I saw around 20-30 people all going in and out of my premises, which is 15 Freda Court. My fiancé is the lease holder my name is not...

View more questions Search