Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2008, 11:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_crow

The unseen and almost unknown enemy was not thoroughly known until the late 90's and that is when Clinton was able to target and capture many terrorist. This was made possible in part by Clark's organizational skills and the Budget afforded by Clinton and Congress. The problem is that Bush lost sight of the real enemy. (He was 8 years behind in the war on terrorism and thought it was the Iraqis that were the problem.) My best guess.
    "The following transcript documents a background briefing in early August 2002 by President Bush's former counterterrorism coordinator Richard A. Clarke to a handful of reporters, including Fox News' Jim Angle.
    CLARKE: " So, point five, that process which was initiated in the first week in February (of the Bush Administration), uh, decided in principle, uh in the spring to add to the existing Clinton strategy and to increase CIA resources, for example, for covert action, five-fold, to go after Al Qaeda.
    "JIM ANGLE: You're saying that the Bush administration did not stop anything that the Clinton administration was doing while it was making these decisions, and by the end of the summer had increased money for covert action five-fold. Is that correct?

"CLARKE: All of that's correct."
    FOXNews.com - Transcript: Clarke Praises Bush Team in '02 - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum

Clarke having said all this, I don't see how you substantiate that Bush lost sight of the real enemy, unless you are stating that as your opinion, which is based upon what?
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2008, 12:06 PM
    “You're saying that the Bush administration did not stop anything that the Clinton administration was doing {EDIT: this is specifically about the CIA budget for covert action not the whole budget for counterterrorism}, which was almost while it was making these decisions, and by the end of the summer had increased money for covert action five-fold. Is that correct?”

And of course no one has suggested that Bush denied Al Qaeda existed, what is suggested is the importance of the role by them. Personal opinion…That Bush Invaded Iraq seems to me to bear out where he thought the greatest threat came from.
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2008, 03:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    That is a new one to me . A life time Bureaucrat is infallible . Seems to me that after serving 25 years that perhaps he would be the one with preconceived ideas. Perhaps the critique that there is inertia in the bureaucracy is off base but I doubt it. My guess is that it would benefit government greatly if there was a house cleaning every now and then. Or perhaps the performace of the intel agencies was stellar pre- 9-11 ?
    A house cleaing... I agree... What a great idea.

I think you should start at the top. No point cleaning out the basement if you leave the attic filthy is there? That gets rid of the Bush's, Clintons and old McCain and leaves the fresh faced bureacrat Obama with no pre conceived ideas.

You're an ideas man Tom :D
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2008, 04:33 PM
    Fresh ideas are not always good ideas. Besides which new ideas does he have . He and Evita play from the same game plan. Bush should've cleaned out the Clintonoids from day 1 .
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2008, 05:13 PM
    Tom, I see that your signature has changed from positive links and statement regarding Fred and Rudy to a negative quote referring to Obama. Is this any indication of how the GOP will run its presidential campaign?

You guys are scared aren't you? This bold new face goes against what you guys are used to and you feel threatened. Again as an outsider looking in I find it exciting and inspiring. I think the US has a chance to lead the globe into a new world of politics. It seems as though he believes that words and encouraging people to think differently can change the world. And I agree with him.

You guys need someone like him. The world does in many ways. Your reputation (rightly or wrongly) is severely tarnished in most parts of the world. I think he is the guy to repair it. You need to resume the role of leaders that you have vacated in recent years.

Sorry for getting off topic a little.
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Feb 18, 2008, 07:03 PM
    DC-

Not much to add to the Clarke suggestion that GW Bush was aware or that he didn't respond adequately having the knowledge. Dubya acted like a deer caught in the headlights on 9/11 and Bill "Zipper Gate" Clinton was to occupied with other matters than defense during his presidency as well. While we need leadership that actually pays attention to the real threats of terrorists abroad that may be coming our way it would be productive if we had a president that emphasizes the home front also. In Vegas, LA, NYC, Chi-town, Philly, etc... gangs and thuggery abound.

Skell-

Most of Obama's main opposition is coming from McCain and Clinton supporters and early on they have focused on three arguments: 1) Obama gives great speeches, but no substance or 2) he doesn't disclose (share) specific views on the issues or 3) he lacks experience to be president.

All three are absurd tactics.

1.) Obama is an educated speaker, no doubt. Both McCain and Clinton are jealous to have Obama's talent. When the opposition brings this up, it's rather a foolish ploy that in actuality means that both McCain and Clinton lack Obama's communication skills.

2.) None of the candidates have given specifics to numerous issues while on short stints campaigning. However, I outlined Obama's take on Israel the other day on another post (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/politi...er-183587.html). We have learned that McCain would keep on the warpath for one hundred years, and that by his own admission, even though our country is in the midst of a recession the economy issue is not his strongest subject. All the candidates, including Obama, have several websites covering information on most of the top issues and I think we all know how to use the search engine. When the two major party's finally get their nomination represented in the general election they will debate, discuss, and dissect the issues on National TV. Tune in.

Barack Obama | Change We Can Believe In | Issues

Barack Obama on the Issues

Barack Obama: On the Issues | Presidential Election 2008 - Candidate Profiles, Photos, Quizzes and More | Reader's Digest

Barack Obama - Issues & Ideas - 2008 Presidential Candidate - National Platforms

Election Center 2008: Candidates - Election & Politics News from CNN.com

3.) Last time I checked none of these front-runners have had presidential experience: Hillary Clinton, John McCain, and Barack Obama are all senators.

Hillary Rodham Clinton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

John McCain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Barack Obama - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

*Note: Personally I'd rather support Paul, Huckabee, or Obama. In fact I've decided that I will not even vote if it comes down to tickets headlined by Clinton vs. McCain.

Ron Paul 2008 › Issues

Mike Huckabee for President - Issues
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Feb 18, 2008, 08:11 PM
    Obama?

Great style, what substance?

For example

In January 2007

The Time Has Come for Universal Health Care | U.S. Senator Barack Obama

I love this line :

"So where's all that money going? We know that a quarter of it - one out of every four health care dollars - is spent on non-medical costs; mostly bills and paperwork"

Is he familiar with IRS forms? Especially if you are a small business owner? And he wants more government involvement. Hooray !

Then in November.

Obama Statement on Veterans' Affairs Committee Hearing on Marion VA Hospital | U.S. Senator Barack Obama

This is a form of universal healthcare, one in his home state. This is just great.

Obama on energy

Barack Obama chats with Grist about energy independence and ethanol | By David Roberts | Grist | Main Dish | 21 Mar 2006

Does he not trust the free market and consumers to decide what kind of vehicle they buy or is available? If an automaker can't compete why should taxpayors suppport it?

What Would Barack Obama Drive? - Feature / Features/Classic Cars / High Performance / Hot Lists / Reviews / Car and Driver - Car And Driver

He drives a hemi 300c [ I can respect him for that ] but:

"The question here is not how Obama can say Detroit needs to build more-fuel-efficient cars while driving a 21-mpg hog, but whether the American people prefer a hypocritical president or one who can't distinguish between hype and truth. "

This is not as bad as Edward's $400 haircuts while on the "poverty tour" though.

Feb 18, 2008, 09:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by inthebox
    Obama?

Great style, what substance?

for example

in january 2007

The Time Has Come for Universal Health Care | U.S. Senator Barack Obama

I love this line :

"So where's all that money going? We know that a quarter of it - one out of every four health care dollars - is spent on non-medical costs; mostly bills and paperwork"

Is he familiar with IRS forms? especially if you are a small business owner? and he wants more government involvement. Hooray !.

Actually adding to the government has been a GW Bush criticism, by his own Republican peers. McCain has been chastised for not being conservative enough and one that would add to the government as well. Here you're actually demonstrating that Obama has spoke on the issues. I welcome any business man that would cut the red tape and appropriate more revenue to the attention of peoples health. I'm sure as Obama being a senator, and having a good memory for the English language as exemplified by his speeches, has memorized more IRS forms than you and I will file in a lifetime. Ron Paul and Mike Huckabee want to do away with the IRS and that sounds even better to me.

then in November.

Obama Statement on Veterans’ Affairs Committee Hearing on Marion VA Hospital | U.S. Senator Barack Obama

This is a form of universal healthcare, one in his home state. This is just great.

I'd actually deregulate much of the pharmacy industry. Investigations are great, when people have to account for their wrongs in an effort to make right. Clemens, whom I've lost a lot of respect for, not withstanding. The last umpteen years using my PPO and HMO has been a real killjoy at times, but at least my family is insured. Let's look the other direction and everything will be hunky-dory for everyone else. Not!

Obama on energy

Barack Obama chats with Grist about energy independence and ethanol | By David Roberts | Grist | Main Dish | 21 Mar 2006

Does he not trust the free market and consumers to decide what kind of vehicle they buy or is available? If an automaker can't compete why should taxpayors suppport it?
    I've heard this argument before. I think some people rather be taxed into oblivion over a never ending war in Iraq? I don't! Alternative fuels and hybrid vehichles are what GW Bush (to his credit) preached when he first took office and what every candidate agrees upon, including Obama. During Dubya's terms a lot of the cars are now being manufactured in Canada because the companies are not able to make the profits they once did; The All Canadian Automotive Directory: Manufacturers. We need those lost jobs back in America. If you have noticed we are in a recession, with much of the "no" thanks due to Dubya. We have to find ways, ideas, to help employers provide health care benefits. While I'm not the biggest supporter of universal health-care, Obama's motivation far outweighs McCain's lack of interest.

What Would Barack Obama Drive? - Feature / Features/Classic Cars / High Performance / Hot Lists / Reviews / Car and Driver - Car And Driver

He drives a hemi 300c [ I can respect him for that ] but:

"The question here is not how Obama can say Detroit needs to build more-fuel-efficient cars while driving a 21-mpg hog, but whether the American people prefer a hypocritical president or one who can't distinguish between hype and truth. "

This is not as bad as Edward's $400 haircuts while on the "poverty tour" though.
    Listen at 21 mpg that is by far better than Cheney's ATV as he goes bird hunting (or friend shooting) and if you want to know hypocritical measure Obama by the Clinton's Whitewater adventure or the Republicans 25K a plate fund raisers.
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2008, 04:36 AM
    Obama has spoken on the issues. He uses the Democrat playbook just like he uses Deval Patrick's words that matter .

If you like my signature you'll love this one :

Glimpsed through the haze of his sophistical rhetoric is something, and it is tiresomely false, namely, the dogmatic assertion that 'hope' and liberalism are synonymous. His reliance on sentiment and rhetoric rather than reasoning to advance that assertion will not inspire a new politics of bipartisan unity but revive old and bitter resentments. Liberalism, after all, has no monopoly on hope, and the chapters of history to which Obama makes implicit reference—the New Frontier and Great Society—concluded in despair. While the Democrats won't stop squealing over him for some time, the larger culture has already begun to mock Obama as a platitudinous lightweight.”
    —George Neumayr

Feb 19, 2008, 07:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    Obama has spoken on the issues. He uses the Democrat playbook just like he uses Deval Patrick's words that matter .

I saw that in the news yesterday, but upon further research it was discovered that Obama received prearranged permission to use Patrick's words. Every candidate for the past century quotes in part or has used some others past ideas of expression, but it's the Clintons and other Obama opposition that find this unique. This is another example of how bad it's become for Obama opposition, Democrat or Republican. While I'm not the most staunch supporter of Obama I do think that with Hillary Clinton pouring her on money (5 million) into her campaign on a loan basis and Bill mudslinging lies against Obama on the campaign trail, Hillary probably will not concede nomination fairly to Obama come convention time. I wouldn't be surprised if Hillary disenfranchises the Obama supporters, making the second coming of Dubya's older do-alike, otherwise known as Republican candidate "McCain," the next president. If this happens we can thank Hillary for the shenanigans, mostly silly Republicans attacks, for killing the young generation of voter's enthusiasm that our country has tried so hard to get involved for decades now. We will also lose the interest from most of our African American population and many independent Caucasian thinkers as well. This is exactly what some of the Republicans base would love to see happen and ironically represents "politics as usual." A normalcy of politics in America that quite frankly I despise.
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2008, 08:07 AM
    Bobby

I think once the press gets over their infatuation with the man and digs a little the depth of the candidate will be revealed.

Feb 19, 2008, 08:38 AM
    Reveal that he is not John McCain or Hillary Clinton? That could be a good thing. I know that you're suggesting that Obama's the media darling for now and they will eventually turn on him. I don't think the press needs to make our decisions for any of us, but maybe when that time comes he overcomes the scrutiny? However regardless of the intricacy involving the media if Obama manages the Democratic nomination, McCain will get his chance to discuss the issues with him on a National televised debate platform.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Politics [ 3 Answers ]

Why and when did the Democratic states change from red to blue?

Landlord took possession before thirty days [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I moved 280 miles from Atwater, CA to Los Angeles, CA. We gave a thirty day notice and a week before our thirty days were up, the landlord began entering the home without our permission and started cleaning and repairing the home. I received a call from my neighbor who saw them. When I...

Need to give 60 days notice, but rent is increasing in thirty days [ 3 Answers ]

I have rented the condo I am in now for over two years. After the initial lease term of one year, I went on a month-to-month basis. I am required to give 60 days notice prior to vacating the property. My landlord notified me at the end of this month (february) that the rent would be...

View more questions Search