Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2007, 12:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by candle_light
    Well thats the thing.. he isn't a creep at all, besides this incident i have never seen him even put a finger on someone else, let alone flirting etc, he just isn't that type of guy.
    I wonder if the type of workplace has anything to do with it... like he is the 'boss' and everyone else there works for him or with him, yet he is actually one of the more 'civilised' ones... like there are alot of sexual jokes, and some talk about some people... but in this workplace its considered normal.

Like when i started work there i didn't think anything of it, as i wasn't offended and nor was anyone else. everyone is realy nice and decent, and even though some things are said and people act certain ways.. no one person there is creepy or sleazy in any type of way whatsoever. I would honestly feel comfortable alone with any one of them as i have been before.

But its just the type of place where things like workplace laws and sexual harassment stuff would be laughed at becauase nobody realy cares.
    But i will still write everything down just in case.
    oneguyinohio did make a very valid point that maybe it was an accident. If so many types of ways of thinking and behavior are accepted there, as I have made bold in the body of your post above, I am wondering what kind of job it is where you work? Knowing that may help to explain some things.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2007, 05:41 AM
    Just because no one really cares about workplace laws against sexual harassment does not give an excuse for the behavior. Some day something will happen that will wake people up. It is not a joke. Nor something to make excuses for. Yes, there could be the accidental incident but that accidental incident could also be the precursor for the next step.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 30, 2007, 09:20 PM
    Glad you came here with your concerns as young females(and males) who don't know better can be taken advantage of by older more experienced co workers. Be alert and watch yourself. Do not hesitate to tell someone not to touch you in a familiar way, that usually solves the problem, but still be careful.
    seeya39 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2008, 10:11 AM
    Although I never take sexual harassment lightly, I've got to say I initially agreed with oneguyinohio, that it was unintentional. Sounds to me like you were slightly in his way, and he was gently hinting that you move further left so he could get in the cupboard without losing his balance. I think that's it; however...

Hardly a man in his right mind would touch a 17-yr old girl on or around the buttocks region, whether he's a teacher, boss, or other figure of authority, as it could be construed as sexual harassment. Sounds like this laid-back workplace needs some HR training on appropriate behavior, because such an unstable environment can--as you have already noticed--be very confusing for a young person at their first job who might feel hesitant or uncomfortable when put in the awkward position of having to assert her boundaries.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A little weird [ 4 Answers ]

OK, I started my period nov.28th, and got off that next Wednesday, dec. 6th. And for some weird reason, I started again this Tuesday, the 12th, and I have no clue why. I shouldn't have started until the last week of this month or the first week of next month. The last time I had sex was this...

This is weird =/ someone help! [ 6 Answers ]

Sry if this has been asked before but I'm a plumbing noob and have no idea what is going on. A few weeks ago I heard a noise under my house (crawl space) and it sounded like something was taking a hammer and just banging on the wall near my washer and dryer room. After a while it went away, so I...

Weird [ 6 Answers ]

I just took a look at my number of posts and I realize I have only 59 what's even weirder is that it says I have 71 in the last 90 days. Now I have been here from November 2005, and I have only 59 posts which is correct but in the last 90 days I have posted 71 times. Which I understand they don't...

How is this for weird... [ 1 Answers ]

may dad passed away last yr feb... had dream about waking up looking at alarm clock and saw the time my dad was telling me I'd be late for school... guess what... the daily #'s came out and MATCHED the time on clock!! and I never played them!! weird... happened 2x's so far.. thought they were...

Something weird [ 5 Answers ]

For a while now, every once in a while, while I'm walking, I'll feel kind of weird. My vision gets blurry and a bit flashy, and I have trouble keeping my balance. This usually lasts about 5 seconds or so and only happens about once every 3 weeks. Today, the same thing happened, but this time it...

View more questions Search