Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ipatrox Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2005, 05:02 PM
    How to obtain a greek birth certificate
    I was adopted as infant by American born Greeks-Americans in Greece and became a naturalized American citizen a few years later. My lawyer says the only way for me to obtain a bona fide Greek birth certificate is by having my adoptive parents become Greek citizens. Anyone else heard of such a thing? Is there any way around this?
    G4-450 Posts: 175, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2005, 06:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ipatrox
    I was adopted as infant by American born Greeks-Americans in Greece and became a naturalized American citizen a few years later.
    Where you (yourself) born?

My lawyer says the only way for me to obtain a bona fide Greek birth certificate is by having my adoptive parents become Greek citizens. Anyone else heard of such a thing? Is there any way around this
    If you are depending on the Citizen Status of your parents to get a citizenship then this sounds correct for any country they are citizens of.

However,
    -----------------------------------------------------
    The easiest ay to get a Greek Citizenship is the same way to get one for Zionist-Israel, convert to there religion.

In Israel you get a citizenship if your Jewish,
    So for Greece, you need to become Greek Orthodox!

You Need certifications to show that you had been bathtised etc...
    Ask at a Greek Church... so much for demacracy.

-----------------------------------------------------
    How ever, technically speaking

1-If your parents where born in Greece, then they have the right to go with a living relative who is a Greek citizen and get there Greek Passport / citizenship now, and then yours as well. (make sure to get a military type-B waiver) to avoid doing 2 years service.

OR

2-Or you or you and your parents simply live in Greece for the time to earn a citizenship like any where else with the documents providing proof you have some what birth rights.

-As I understand this, once your parents have a Greek Passport, they then have to go to Greece and wait out the 3 months tourist time (based on Visa like periods).

Then, after this they can apply as residents living in Greece by providing all the documentation again like the Greek Embassy.

Also, if you or your parents work for at least 6 months in Greece, you can get the Security Social and health benefits as well, and for sure your Greek then..
    ipatrox Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2005, 07:33 PM
    Clarifying a couple of issues
    Perhaps there is some confusion to clear up.

I was born in Greece to a known (family name) Greek birth mother. My father's background is not known. My American-born adoptive parents are Greek Orthodox. My lawyer says that my adoptive parents need to become Greek citizens for me to obtain a legal Greek birth certificate. I have been baptized Greek Orthodox in America.
    G4-450 Posts: 175, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2005, 10:34 PM
    Perhaps there is some confusion to clear up.

I was born in Greece to a known (family name) Greek birth mother. My father's background is not known. My American-born adoptive parents are Greek Orthodox. My lawyer says that my adoptive parents need to become Greek citizens for me to obtain a legal Greek birth certificate. I have been baptized Greek Orthodox in America.
    Yes of-course

You did not mention that you where born in greece as I read again your very last post. excuse me.

Your parents do NOT have to be Greek or Israeli for you to obtain your greek birth certificate. you yourself can get it with your ID. its your property not theirs.

I think this lawyer wants you to pay him to be your power of attorney so that he can get it for you: But I advise that unless the lawyer can grantee all this is going to cost less then a trip to greece and with no hidden charges or add on charges later again as they usually do then and only then it is worth it.

Or he gave you good advise, which is that it is faster for your parents get there citizenship then its all setlled.

But your parents have to go through routine steps to get all this too.

I mention the religious part to get to that point where I had a tip for you or your parents. My tip was going to be that if your parents needed a living greek relative to present the at the consulate or to obtain theirs or your documents, they could then get a greek priest from your area now to contact a priest from the town your relatives live or lived in greece to verify you all and so that they can plea as witnesses for your status.

This gives the consulate a good reason to surrender to you all you're a greek passport, which in a democracy, the key as a citizenship is the passport.
    byanka Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2005, 05:17 AM
    Get greek citizenship for my son
    Hi - I have a son born in Romania, with a greek.We didn't married.I have his declaration made in front of public notary that he agree my son have his name and that he is the father.Does anybody know how can I get greek citizenship for my son?
    I ask embassy but they said I must come there with the father.He disappeared.What can I do?Please help!
    STONY Posts: 82, Reputation: 11

Dec 29, 2005, 10:14 AM
    Ouzo2000
    If You Are Leaving The U.s. Under A U.s.a. Passport Your Name Is Already In The Big Comp[uter That Tracks People. To Try To Gain Entry Into Another Country On A Second Passport Bight Bring You Some Difficulties.
    AngPitsakis Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2006, 12:40 PM
    I have a question to add:

I am a US citizen born of a Greek father and American mother. My father is the only in his family to emigrate from Greece, so I still have a large family living in Greece.

I am applying for Greek citizenship with the help of my Unlces in Athens. I have read info on numerous websites, and am worried about the following:

My parents (who are now divorced) had a civil marriage and were not married in the Greek Orthodox or any church.

Could this be a problem??

I am baptised Greek Orthodox, but am not very religious myself, and my family does not officially belong to a church. I do not speak Greek fluently, but very much want to and am trying to learn it.

Do you really think it would take 6-12 months for me to receive my passport? I read this is the average time if someone only has one Greek parent, and especially if their from a large city like Athens or Piraeus.

I ask because I am going to study abroad in Greece next fall and a, required to get a residence visa.. that is if I don't get my passport first. I will arrive in Greece in late July and would need to have the passport/citizenship by October... is this possible?

May 5, 2006, 07:18 AM
    I Truly Wish I Could Help You But I Am Totally Illiterate On International Laws... sorry, Stony
    guitargeezer1951 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2006, 02:57 PM
    So, how about Austria. My grandmother was born in Vienna and lived there until the age of 15 I think. Can I legally apply for citizenship there and would that give me a dual citizenship with the US/Austria?
    Jonegy Posts: 166, Reputation: 37

May 22, 2006, 08:18 AM
    If European law conicides with our (UK) law - if you were born there you should be able to get a copy of your birth certificate which as far as I understand it is the first document you need whether there are any other requirement you should be able to find out from the Austrian Consulate.

May 23, 2006, 10:19 AM
    Byanka,
    Your Best Bet Is To Speak To An Attorney. They'll Know The Laws.
    Jonegy Posts: 166, Reputation: 37

May 23, 2006, 01:06 PM
    Errrrmmmmm?? Don't Attorneys, Lawyers, Solicitors and their ilk tend to charge for their advise??

I have always had very good advise from the consulates of whichever country I have been travelling to - and if they don't know the laws of their own countries - who does? And the best part is that the service is FREE :D
    guitargeezer1951 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2006, 06:46 PM
    Thank you for your help.
    fotia88 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2006, 08:01 PM
    I was born in the USA and my father was born in Greece and also had citizenship in USA. My mother's mother was born in Greece and my mother's father's parents were born in Greece. Is there any way I can get Greek citizenship?
    Kenobi4 Posts: 11, Reputation: 3

Jul 17, 2006, 05:21 PM
    Bring both passports to customs.
    thegreek1130 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2006, 12:26 PM
    My grandfather was born in Greece, but I don't know if we have proof. The family is from the Volos-area. How can I get an official copy of his birth certificate if there weren't really accurate records at the time? He was born in the late 1800's...

Thanks!
    Christina
    sarahope Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2006, 08:42 AM
    I was born in athens greece, my dad was in the airforce.
    Wondering if I have dual citizenship?
    jrstrother Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2006, 08:38 PM
    Hi, my name is Josh, and I was wondering what I have to do to get duel citizenship for Greece. I don't have any greek heritage, but I will be working over there a lot. Would it simply be easier to keep up a work permit?
    Wondering, Josh
    Tireman Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2006, 12:31 PM
    Since this predominantly is about Greek/American citizenship, I recommend the following:

Do a Google search for Dorian Kokas, or go to greecetravel.com and look around. These two resources will tell you what you need to know about becoming a Greek/American citizen.

Basically, if you're of Greek descent (at least to 3 generations), you qualify for Greek citizenship. There may be military service required under certain circumstances. Obtaining citizenship is as easy as "claiming" it.

To expedite the process, contact the Greek consulate offices that service your home state.

There are also consequences to becoming a Greek citizen. For instance, if you or a close relative has a US government security clearance, becoming a "foreign national" could cause them some problems.

Depending on how and where you live, you could be subject to taxation in the US and in Greece. European taxes are much higher than in the US.

Having dual citizenship is moot unless you need it. Do you really intend to live or work in Greece? Or are you obtaining a Greek passport so you can work throughout the EU?

There are many things to consider and I will answer all further questions to the best of my ability.

Tireman
    Tireman Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2006, 12:33 PM
    John Trother-

I would suggest you contact the Greek consulate at once. Obtaining citizenship will be much more involved for you. Plus, you should already have the work visa, so making the switch would probably do you more harm than good.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dual Citizenship? [ 15 Answers ]

Ok, I've got a question. My father is a natural born French citizen, living in the United States. I am eighteen years old, born in the United States, my mother is a US Citizen, my father is a French citizen. Would I qualify for dual citizenship because of the French with their "jus...

Dual citizenship [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My father and grandparents were born in Paris, France. I was born in the United States, where I now live. I am interested in dual citizenship with France and the U.S. for studying purposes. I live in Philadelphia, but I believe the French Embassy is in New York. Does anyone have any...

Dual citizenship [ 1 Answers ]

I am a French national and a permanent resident in the US. My husband is American. Apparently, there are tax advantages to my becoming an American citizen. What are the consequences, if any, from the French government's point of view of obtaining US citizenship? Has anyone gone through this...

View more questions Search