Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 02:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Yes, yes, yes. In the hospital we call it uniform precautions, droplet precautions, or airborn precautions.
    Why does the medical world need to use different words and the news world uses laymen terms :confused: .

Very confusing... :D
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 17, 2007, 02:38 PM
    We use these terms because they can mean so many different things in a hospital setting. The media uses layman's terms that are easier for the average public to understand.

For instance, you would not know what DYSPNEA means. But if a major star were to be rushed to the hospital with DYSPNEA, you wouldn't have a clue what was wrong. So instead the media will say that the star was rushed to the hospital with shortness of breath.

Most of the medical terms have latin origins and have not changed over the years.
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 02:43 PM
    Thanks J9,

I know the why's... just asking as I thought it was funny,because inthebox explained the dress code and then you used three terms for it.

I just saw the confusion it would cause when a medical staff talks to a layman and each used different terms for the same thing.One may never know you were talking about the same thing.
    Expert

Sep 17, 2007, 03:36 PM
    You see, there are precautions we take in the hospital depending on the illness. Droplet precautions and airborn precautions are the way we dress (gloves, gowns, masks) when there is a respiratory infection. Universal precautions are basically just gloves.

And this is one thing we are actually taught in school. Communication techniques was an actual course. How to talk to the family/patient using terms they would understand.

This is why I don't always sound so medical when I am in the teen board, or Pregnancy board. I cannot use medical terms that you won't understand. We actually had to learn how to say these terms in ways that the general public understands.
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 03:40 PM
    You see, there are precautions we take in the hospital depending on the illness. Droplet precautions and airborn precautions are the way we dress (gloves, gowns, masks) when there is a respiratory infection. Universal precautions are basically just gloves.

And this is one thing we are actually taught in school. Communication techniques was an actual course. How to talk to the family/patient using terms they would understand.

This is why I don't always sound so medical when I am in the teen board, or Pregnancy board. I cannot use medical terms that you won't understand. We actually had to learn how to say these terms in ways that the general public understands.
    My respect for you and those in your profession just goes up and up...
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Sep 17, 2007, 08:27 PM
    I answered before looking up the article[s] - sorry

Here is one:
    U.K. Hospitals Issue Doctors' Dress Code

It actually makes sense. Ties , unless clipped to the shirt, flop around and are rarely washed after one use. Those white long sleeved uniform jackets, likewise, are rarely washed after one use, unless the Doctor or staff has several of them and rotates them.
    Same applies to wrist watches.

It is the goal of infection prevention for all health care workers to wash their hands before and after seeing a patient , it is more difficult to do this with long sleeves.

Funny the article does not mention cleaning / disinfecting stethoscopes after each patient encounter.

Grace and Peace
    Expert

Sep 18, 2007, 11:52 AM
    I'm with InTheBox here. I posted the wrong article. Sorry.

No one cleans stethoscopes? OMG!! As a student nurse we are required to carry around alcohol swabs in our pockets. While talking to our patients we are to open the swab and clean the stethoscope. It's become a habit now.

Maybe this study, or similar studies, is what began our "habit" at our particular school.
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2007, 12:01 PM
    I'm with InTheBox here. I posted the wrong article. Sorry.

No one cleans stethoscopes? OMG!!!! As a student nurse we are required to carry around alcohol swabs in our pockets. While talking to our patients we are to open the swab and clean the stethoscope. It's become a habit now.

Maybe this study, or similar studies, is what began our "habit" at our particular school.
    About the wrong article,

I got some new info out of it, so more good and less harm done:p
    Expert

Sep 18, 2007, 12:18 PM
    One thing as a student nurse that bothers me is bringing these pathogens home to my family. The shoes I wear at the hospital are contaminated with the germs of the entire hospital. The uniforms that I wear come in contact with infected patients for every clinical experience.

My family laughs, but does not get it. I get home, take my shoes off in the garage, have a bathrobe hanging in the garage, change in the garage, leave shoes outside and uniforms go directly into a garbage bag then "poured" into the washing machine.

Guess I sound a little paranoid don't I? LOL
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2007, 12:23 PM
    One thing as a student nurse that bothers me is bringing these pathogens home to my family. The shoes I wear at the hospital are contaminated with the germs of the entire hospital. The uniforms that I wear come in contact with infected patients for every clinical experience.

My family laughs, but does not get it. I get home, take my shoes off in the garage, have a bathrobe hanging in the garage, change in the garage, leave shoes outside and uniforms go directly into a garbage bag then "poured" into the washing machine.

Guess I sound a little paranoid don't I? LOL
    We can never be too careful... especially when it comes to hospitals.

I always change and wash my hands (sometimes even bathe) after a long visit to the hospital even if it is only to visit a sick friend/family, before I carry/hold my daughter.

Talk about paranoid, I think not.:eek:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search