Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2009, 06:55 PM
    It ended up no big deal, we are used to it at least once a year. I have glued together many pots. This one I will attempt to glue together, but use for something else since my plant was root bound.

How am I going to get it's twin out of the other pot? Don't want to break it.:eek:
    The concrete pot got a chip, but the stairs are OK:)
    I bailed 40 gallons on water out of the garden and 1/3 drained the pond of mucky water. Then re-filled. I think all the fish are still there.:confused:

I have 5 bags of debree and a stack of stuff from my Pampas Grass (sp) and now I will go cleanse myself and tend to wounds.
    Pampas Grass is nasty.. DO NOT ever plant it!:eek:

KUXJ... I have a picture that I have yet to find from 15 years ago of our yard. All there was, was grass. We bought it because it was huge and we wanted a pool. We never could afford it until I was 40, but until that time DH wanted to plant a tree in the middle of the yard and I would never let him, thinking that some day I was going to get a pool and have to kill that tree. I was right.

No plants died and if you don't praise my efforts again, it will be sad.:( I work hard and it's nice to think that someone thinks it looks nice. We have done everything on our own (except the pool) and my son even helped with that. (he needed a summer job):D
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

Oct 14, 2009, 10:59 PM
    In life, as in all things great and small, there are moments of serendipity.
    Moments that make one stop, and ponder.

Today I returned a book that my neighbor had loaned me, the neighbor that has the windmill project.

As Harry, and I talked he told me the installers were there finishing up on the landscaping, and their plan was to take the leftover soil over to the Twp. Dump, yes the same place where the compost is made. Within minutes, and with everyone's okay I had approximately 12 tons of soil redirected onto my property. The three piles in the pix.

Far be it from me, to be the one to make you sad Just Dahlia. Let us use these two occasions as growth in our lives, and our gardens, and I will continue to praise your efforts.

eddie where's that video of Händel's Messiah?.....rummage....searchin'....rummage....Ah ! there it is I found it Händel's Messiah

Now... 'bout that other clay pot, if it's akin to the broken one, I'd just remove the plant by by cutting the whole way around, and straight down into the pot. If done correctly you should be able to lift the plant straight out of the pot. It'll still take some effort though.

Oct 15, 2009, 07:43 PM
    JD, the garden lady was on for her 1" spot on the local news, and she was talking 'bout winterizing fish ponds.

You probably don't have to worry 'bout it, but she said if you have one the time to start is when the temp reaches 50F ~ 10C and going lower

She bares an uncanny resemblance to you. Winterize Your Pond Well... At least I think so.

K
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2009, 08:12 PM
    I watched the pond lady and she looks young, so I'm going with "Thank You":D

DH removed all the white picket fence today (that fell down in the storm) and replaced it with that 'new fangled' black iron, 3 feet tall stuff. It looks great and we don't have to worry about a dog jumping over it. (G-d rest his soul, Winston (the jumper) is no longer with us) The dogs are little and have no desire to escape. Not sure what was up with Winnie, but he always tried.

I couldn't help myself when we went to get the fencing. They have 'ba$tard plants that are not good for the average eye and priced at 1/2 or lower off. I bought 2 more Blackberrys and a red Dahlia (not dinner plate) and another Dahlia (not sure what color) but I know that I can grow them and they come back, so I'm good.

I transplanted my poor broken Palm in another pot (bigger) funny story, but no time for that now, and it is now in the front yard:)

I still am going to glue the old pot together and put it in the back, because it was such a beautiful pot and I am anal.:rolleyes:

Oct 18, 2009, 02:29 PM
    I watched the pond lady and she looks young, so I'm going with "Thank You":D
    Your welcome! :)

DH removed all the white picket fence today (that fell down in the storm) and replaced it with that 'new fangled' black iron, 3 feet tall stuff. It looks great and we don't have to worry about a dog jumping over it. (G-d rest his soul, Winston (the jumper) is no longer with us) The dogs are little and have no desire to escape. Not sure what was up with Winnie, but he always tried.
    I've been looking at that 3' fence, not sure where I could use it.
    Candy Pester our feline is a master escape artist.

I couldn't help myself when we went to get the fencing. They have 'ba$tard plants that are not good for the average eye and priced at 1/2 or lower off. I bought 2 more Blackberrys and a red Dahlia (not dinner plate) and another Dahlia (not sure what color) but I know that I can grow them and they come back, so I'm good.
    I know, we're the same way. This is the time of year for good deals

I transplanted my poor broken Palm in another pot (bigger) funny story, but no time for that now, and it is now in the front yard:)
    Can't wait to hear it!

I still am going to glue the old pot together and put it in the back, because it was such a beautiful pot and I am anal.:rolleyes:
    Do you use a special epoxy for pottery?

K
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2009, 10:06 PM
    Do you use a special epoxy for pottery?

No, just Gorilla glue. It holds them together very well. This will be the first time I am doing it without a plant in the pot. I had 2 queen Palm blow over last year and the year before and had to glue the pieces back on while the plant was in the pot. Not a very good effor but the broken glued side is backed up against some grasses, so you can't see where the repair was made.

Today I spent the glorious weather day planting 3 shrubs (for hedge) in the dog yard behind the spa where the fence blew down. After I planted them I couldn't help changing things and shaped the whole back yard into a semi circle for easier mowing and it looks great. I have to pick up bark Monday when I get off work to finish up and I still have to staple the mow strip in.

My funny story about the pot was...
    We went to Costco to see if they had any big pots, got out early to beat the rush. As we entered the store, I told DH that I needed one about the size of the one I had in the front.:rolleyes: and then realized that I could use the one in the front, I never planted anything in in. I looked at DH and said "we can go home now" We still looked at the pots and they had wonderful giant ones for $50.00, but we left saving the 50 and then spent it on hedge bushes instead.:p

I burned a lot of dead pampas grass yesterday and reduced my Green bin pick-up. Worried for a little while that the fire Dept would come (smoke) but no Hot Firemen showed up:( also no Fine:)

DH went to play poker last night and pulled a hamstring,(:confused:) so he sat and iced all day, but keep me company.

The dogs love the new fence!

Oct 19, 2009, 12:05 AM
    I usually have a bottle of that glue around also, I don't know 'bout you, but I usually end up with it on my fingers, an then half to use something like finger nail polish remover or gas to remove it.

Yes it finally was a sunny day here too. Started raining Thursday morning 'bout 5am, and didn't finally stop until this morning (Sunday) around 11am, total rain 3.86" :eek:
    You were guided by providence to improve your yard, can't wait to see the new layout!
    Do you get the bark in bags or do you have a truck, and load it?

Now how did you ever have a container that you didn't have something planted in it? :D
    We're always making shopping lists for when we go, but 10% of the time we'll end up leaving it at home, well, its good you had the money for the bushes, We like when it works out like that to.

All it takes is one neighbor. Do like I do when I burn, and put some potatoes in the fire, and if the fire co. does show up I tell 'em I'm having a B-B-Q. :D
    Still your fortunate, I can only imagine how strict they are where your at.

What! Was DH going for an inside straight? :p Had one of those once, their no fun :(
    Always helps to raise the bonding quotient. ;)

Yay! For the pooches.
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2009, 08:10 AM
    Oh and I forgot...
    I saved all the worms I found and put them in my new compost bin.:)
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2009, 11:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KUXJ View Post
    I usually have a bottle of that glue around also, I don't know 'bout you, but I usually end up with it on my fingers, an then half to use something like finger nail polish remover or gas to remove it.

Yes, I'm going to attempt to use gloves this time

Yes it finally was a sunny day here too. Started raining Thursday morning 'bout 5am, and didn't finally stop until this morning (Sunday) around 11am, total rain 3.86" :eek:
    You were guided by providence to improve your yard, can't wait to see the new layout!
    Do you get the bark in bags or do you have a truck, and load it?

We got rid of our truck for gas price purposes, so I get it in bags now, but the most I get is 4 at a time.

All it takes is one neighbor. Do like I do when I burn, and put some potatoes in the fire, and if the fire co. does show up I tell 'em I'm having a B-B-Q. :D
    Still your fortunate, I can only imagine how strict they are where your at.

Almost everyone has fire pits, portable and in ground or Chimanias, I think they are allowed since they are sold everywhere. So I just burn the stuff in the portable one. I save the small pieces for the table fire pit.
    Although in some months of winter there are 'No burn days' So when it's cold and we want a fire in the fireplace, we have to check.:rolleyes:
    I'm not trimming my roses till February, but have you ever heard of using a wire brush lightly on the root ball to allow more sun to the plant:confused: One of the rose experts around here does that and I can't seem to find anything about it, so I haven't tried it yet. I asked this question last year, but got no responses.:(

Edit: It's been raining all morning, so I won't be able to get my bark down today, plus my house is probably now filled with mud from the pups.

Oct 19, 2009, 06:58 PM
    I saved all the worms I found and put them in my new compost bin. :)
    Have I got the composter for you! Only $249bucks. Sawer on "Ask This Old House"

Rotating Sphere Composter with Base

Quote Originally Posted by Just Dahlia View Post
    I'm not trimming my roses till February, That's what I told J_9 in her post

But have you ever heard of using a wire brush lightly on the root ball to allow more sun to the plant:confused: One of the rose experts around here does that and I can't seem to find anything about it, so I haven't tried it yet.
    Can't say that I have, It is a muti-purpose tool :rolleyes: Usually used for cleaning tools. Is this hearsay? or can you contact him to ask why he uses it.
    I can't picture him using a 4" angle grinder, but maybe a small brass brush, like a toothbrush. I could accept the reason that it would clean out, and at the same time stimulate the root system.

I asked this question last year, but got no responses.:(
    I wasn't here last year. :D I'll keep lookin'

Edit: It's been raining all morning, so I won't be able to get my bark down today, plus my house is probably now filled with mud from the pups.
    I'm still trying to break out of my cabin fever from last week
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2009, 11:43 AM
    That compost bin looks like the Monster from 'The Incredibles' :eek:

Oct 21, 2009, 02:52 PM
    Hi! JD,

When I saw it on the show it rolled pretty freely, but I wonder how it would do with the 71lbs, it claims to hold.

Sit it under a tree, Place a fog machine, and speaker inside the stand, put an orange skirt around the stand, Use craft paint to put a Halloween face on it, :) hang some spiders from the tree, and there you go... A Halloween decoration :eek: :cool:

Get the mechanism from one of those oscillating fans, and it'll watch the kids as they walk up an down your sidewalk. ;)
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2009, 01:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KUXJ View Post

Get the mechanism from one of those oscillating fans, and it'll watch the kids as they walk up an down your sidewalk. ;)
    I like that idea, very ingenious.:cool:

I haven't got around to my bark yet, because of the rain and visitors, but maybe this weekend when I'm not working on the decorations for Sheries door.:)

Oct 23, 2009, 02:19 PM
    Yea, been busy too.

Just got the lawn cut for the last time this season, today. Deck comes off, and snow blade goes on. Finished the last part under sprinkles, raining steady now, Possible 1.50" by tomorrow night.

Made up burger goulash with UDT, and neighbors zucs for Supper, DW should be home in a half hour.

What's that eddie?.
    Don't forget it's Friday, you have News from the Bucket to do too.

Oh poop! Your right! Well I got to go JD, remember to use fake blood on Sheries door!
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2009, 11:34 AM
    Almost got the yard and stuff all away from the storm and now we are going to get really windy with 40 MPH gusts. So I guess Tuesday, I will be starting all over cleaning up. I will be able to tell how my new fence holds up.:)

Haven't planted my new Dahlia yet, maybe when I get home from work before the wind hits, need to find a big enough pot first:rolleyes:
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2009, 04:32 PM
    Well, I started to panick, because my 'key lime tree' limes started to turn yellow and I wasn't sure what to do, but as I checked on the world wide internet, they said that is normal, when they are ripe (unlike store bought ones) I guess I will be making key lime pie soon, since I have way too many for Gin and tonics.:)

Oct 26, 2009, 07:40 PM
    :) :rolleyes: durn shame we're not neighbors ;) :D
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2009, 08:47 PM
    Pie? Or drinks?:rolleyes::):D

Oct 27, 2009, 04:33 AM
    :cool:Well, I'd have to get some work done, before pie, and drinks.;)
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2009, 09:15 PM
    I've been throwing all my fruit and veggie scrapes into the new compost bin along with coffee grounds and tes bags and egg shells. I had read that ALL were OK.

I'm getting flies and fruit flies. I read to add some shredded paper, did so. Didn't help:eek:. I stopped putting the coffee grounds in (maybe too moist) and added a little more paper.

Any other suggestions?:confused:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Felicity season 2 [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know who's the artist in the episode called "revolution" where felicity is doing reserch on the internet for the sit-in at the health center which was playing in the background. Also the season finale of season 2 where they're dancing at javier's wedding reception and felicity mention...

Tis The Season [ 33 Answers ]

I would love to hear all of your favorite Christmas Songs. This is my personal favorite... YouTube - Ghost of Christmas Eve

How often go in season ? [ 1 Answers ]

How often danes go in season ?

View more questions Search